Spliting levimer dose - how

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys,

What is the best way to split my Levimer dose? Looks like my Levimer is running out at about 4pm see attached graph, and if I increase it then I'm getting night time lows.

I currently take 18u at 8:30pm.

Is it a 50/50 split or a 60/40 etc i.e taking more in the morning and less at night?

Also should split does be 12 hours apart.

IMG_A11DF0AAE94A-1.jpeg

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Guys,

What is the best way to split my Levimer dose? Looks like my Levimer is running out at about 4pm see attached graph, and if I increase it then I'm getting night time lows.

I currently take 18u at 8:30pm.

Is it a 50/50 split or a 60/40 etc i.e taking more in the morning and less at night?

Also should split does be 12 hours apart.

View attachment 32614
Not sure there's a 'best' way. You need to experiment and see what works for you.

I am currently using a 50/50 split but have tried 60/40 and 75/25 over the past few months.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You need to ask your DSN !!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I agree with urbanracer, try it out first. I began with 6 pm and 10 am and after some experimenting and basal testing I ended up with 8pm and 8.5 am. It was very obvious that 6 meant high’s and 10 meant lows.
But do consult your DSN.
That’s not a bad graph btw, but then it doesn’t show food, bolus and corrections.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I take 8 units at 6am and then 12 units at 6pm.

Tony

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Urbanracer's suggestion is the most sensible - experiment, test and small changes whichever dose you think isn't quite right.

I've personally found a 12 hour split usually works for me and do this at 07:30/19:30. However, I have not ended up taking 50/50 more like 45/65.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys, I'm getting in touch with my DSN but thought I'd ask here too.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take levemir with more or less 12 hours apart 50/50 split (6am and 7pm)

Last edited:

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
We should never advise on doses her. We don't know you or your history and we are not professionals. Always contact the D department if you need help in this way.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For a long time I use to take 23u before bed (usually anytime after 10:30pm) and then 22u before breakfast at 07:30 (on work days) and I found that I was constantly dropping low mid morning, now the docs said my breakfast ratio was wrong.......odd that I didn't have the issue at weekends where I get up later and do my diabetic things later too! I changed my Levemir morning injection to 09:30-10:30 and I was a lot more stable, I've also now dropped the number of units gradually too so on 19 PM and 17 AM now. Just to warn you timing is important.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right folks,

So been on a 60/40 levier spilt dose for about 3 days and I am still getting the post 4pm rise. I was on 18u at 8:30pm but now I am on.

11u 8:30am and 9u 9:30pm should I:

A) Increase the AM dose to say 13u
B) Take the AM dose bit later say 10:30am

The reason for the split in the first place was to eliminate the post 4pm rise as I don’t think the Levier was lasting 24 hours, but annoyed now as it’s and extra jab but the underlying issue is still present.

Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@O_DP_T1,
Please contact your DSN as we cannot give you advice about dosages.
Please do not give up either. You will get there !!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also do a basal test, as without that you can't really distinguish whether it's your basal or your lunch time bolus ratio that needs tweaking