Spring onion greens growing

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I avoid onions because of the carbs, but I missed both their taste and supposed health benefits. My solution is to buy a bunch of spring onions, making sure they have good roots and that the shoots are not too battered. I put them in about 1" of water in transparent glasses on my windowsill. In about a week the roots and new green shoots are growing. I harvest the longest shoots for meals. They are of course ultra fresh. New shoots keep coming. Eventually they do stop growing and the onions go to the compost heap, but by then I have a new bunch coming on. I find it works best to cut off most of the shoots at the start and put them in a separate glass of water to keep fresh and be eaten first. Otherwise, as the roots are not yet working very well, the existing shoots may wilt and die and be wasted. The water in the glasses needs to be changed from time to time. Final benefit - the bright green shoots look great on my kitchen windowsill. I can't find a carb count for green onion shoots, but chives are very low on carbs, and the weight of even a generous sprinkling is minimal.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A habit I have from my Russian partner is to do this with an ordinary onion. Just rest it on a jar with the dried roots just touching some water. Provides onion greens all winter. Great in salads and sandwiches etc.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
These are both brilliant-- I also love onion is huge quantities, and this is a way to cheer up the windowsill and the flavors. Thanks!

Reactions: jpscloud