Stage 4 CKD and GFR levels

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I am type 1 diabetic with stage 4 CKD. I am 49 and VERY overweight, although I have finally started to lose weight! For the past few years my egfr has been between 21-26% but my last test ,taken just after Christmas, was down from 21 to 19. My hba1c was 8 which is high for me but my consultant and I have put that down to the excesses of Christmas.
I know in medical terms 21 down to 19 is not a big drop but I would be much happier if I could get it back in the 20's. I am not on a restricted diet. Is there anything I can do to get my numbers up? I am due to see my consultant in May and I have another blood test in 5 weeks. Thanks in advance for any advice.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

Has nobody suggested a restricted diet? Patients with low GFRs are usually told there needs to be a restriction in protein and salt and your fluid intake needs to be discussed. I would have thought that you would have been referred to a dietitian.
What is your blood pressure like? If this is high then it will add to the problems. Are you exercising? This will help with weight loss.
Hope the weight loss continues.

Hope others will contribute to your queries.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great advice from Catherine, I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope you get a few more replies.

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I do not need to be on a restricted yet. I watch my salt and fat content and my BP is now steady. Dialysis patients have to monitor their fluid intake and have a restricted diet but, fingers crossed, I can keep that at bay for a while. It has been suggested that saunas can help kidney function so I will give that a go

Lorna