1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stages in developing better control

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by isjoberg, Nov 12, 2016.

1. isjoberg

isjoberg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all!
    I've seen quite a few posts about people who are getting started or restarted in getting better diabetes control, and LOADS of information on how to address it. One thing that I think is missing (although this may be somewhere that I have yet to find?) is a comprehensive list of stages.
    For example, whenever things have all gone a bit pear shaped (as they are now), the first thing I focus on is basal rate to get that over night bg nice and steady.
    Does anyone else have suggestions for the order in which to do things/ information on how this should be done?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Not sure such a list exists, but getting the basal dose/rates right is the foundation to better bg control, after that looking at the I:C ratio's would be second IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Basal then boluses, then fine tune by trying to get rid of any spikes, I'd say.

I'd also add lots of testing and good note keeping for all those :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. isjoberg

isjoberg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The main reason I ask is that I always feel slightly overwhelmed when I decide to pay closer attention, as there are so many moving factors to it, and wanted to formulate a step by step way to address stuff. Of course everything needs continual adjustment, but having one new thing to focus on every few days would be an easier way to integrate better control. It all feels a bit ridiculous cause I've had diabetes for so long but no one has ever really sat me down and explained anything at all, it's all been varying degrees of guess work and feeling awful because it's not working.

5. Flakey Bake

Flakey Bake Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Isjoberg
    I attend the diabetes clinic at the Royal Edinburgh Infirmary. The diabetes team there have put together this advice booklet '10 steps for improving type 1 diabetes control'. I personally have found it very useful and use it as a reference guide for whenever I need to improve my efforts. The link is:
    http://www.edinburghdiabetes.com/intensive-diabetes-control/
    Hope this helps
    Flakey Bake

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. mojo_101

mojo_101 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Both pumping insulin and think like a pancreas books walk through approaches as far as i can remember, both useful for pumpers and mdi. Gary scheiner also has some guides on line.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook