Stages in developing better control

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!
I've seen quite a few posts about people who are getting started or restarted in getting better diabetes control, and LOADS of information on how to address it. One thing that I think is missing (although this may be somewhere that I have yet to find?) is a comprehensive list of stages.
For example, whenever things have all gone a bit pear shaped (as they are now), the first thing I focus on is basal rate to get that over night bg nice and steady.
Does anyone else have suggestions for the order in which to do things/ information on how this should be done?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure such a list exists, but getting the basal dose/rates right is the foundation to better bg control, after that looking at the I:C ratio's would be second IMO.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal then boluses, then fine tune by trying to get rid of any spikes, I'd say.

I'd also add lots of testing and good note keeping for all those :)

Reactions: novorapidboi26

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The main reason I ask is that I always feel slightly overwhelmed when I decide to pay closer attention, as there are so many moving factors to it, and wanted to formulate a step by step way to address stuff. Of course everything needs continual adjustment, but having one new thing to focus on every few days would be an easier way to integrate better control. It all feels a bit ridiculous cause I've had diabetes for so long but no one has ever really sat me down and explained anything at all, it's all been varying degrees of guess work and feeling awful because it's not working.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Isjoberg
I attend the diabetes clinic at the Royal Edinburgh Infirmary. The diabetes team there have put together this advice booklet '10 steps for improving type 1 diabetes control'. I personally have found it very useful and use it as a reference guide for whenever I need to improve my efforts. The link is:
http://www.edinburghdiabetes.com/intensive-diabetes-control/
Hope this helps
Flakey Bake

Reactions: Bobbin and isjoberg

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Both pumping insulin and think like a pancreas books walk through approaches as far as i can remember, both useful for pumpers and mdi. Gary scheiner also has some guides on line.

Reactions: Bobbin