1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Standard Metformin vs. Slow release issues

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Kowacz85, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Kowacz85

Kowacz85 · Newbie

Hi,

I was trialled on Metformin because I have very high carb to insulin ratios at around 15 units of insulin per 10g of carbs. Standard metformin at just 500mg had an effect within 2 days of starting to take it and my insulin intake dropped by almost a third and my levels were much more stable. However, I just couldn't tolerate the side effects and after 4 weeks had to stop taking them. I have now been put on the slow release metformin and i've been taking this a week (500mg) and it seems absolutely nothing has happened in regards to my insulin intake and i've had no side effects either. Is this normal, has anyone else had a similar experience, does it take longer for the slow release to kick in?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook