Started new job - very painful feet !

Tigerlily-iom

I have recently started a new job as a care assistant, and whilst I was doing the day shift I had no problems with my feet, now t hat I am doing night shift, I have very painful feet, so much so it makes it hard to walk, and after my shift when I get out of bed putting my feet on the floor is agony. I also get numbness in my toes. I have this pain most of the time now, any suggestions on how to relieve this pain. I am waiting for an appointment to see the podiatrist. thanks

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I too am a carer and I just think sore feet go with the job. My shifts are 7 hours long with hardly no time to sit. My feet also hurt in mornings after my shift.

Clairslloyd

Not sure if I can help but could you change the shoes you wear for work. I use FitFlops and they are fab as my feet also get very sore. The are expensive but worth it, you can get summer and winter ones so ideal for any weather. Also have read on here to buy shoes in the afternoon as you feet swell during the day. Hopefully someone will come along shortly to offer you more/better advice :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
A long time ago I used to work in a shop where I was on my feet all day. At the end of the day my feet and my legs were agony. Then someone who worked there gave me her tip of changing shoes during the day. This worked like a miracle - I changed my shoes at lunchtime and didn't suffer any more. The relief was immediate. Maybe you could have a couple of pairs of shoes in your locker or wherever you keep your handbag and change regularly.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I worked night shift for 19 years and suffered from swollen ankles and legs quite a lot, before and after diagnosed as a diabetic.

This is mainly due to dehydration and also just the fact that your body is out of sinc with the 'Circadian rhythm'. That is the way your body naturally behaves over a 24 hour period.

Check your shoes are not too tight and allow room for any swelling. Also go and discuss this with your doctor and / or Podiatrist in case there is another underlying cause.

Daisy's tip about changing shoes is also good advice. it sometimes helps if the two pairs of shoes have slightly different heel heights as well as this will also rest the Achilles tendon by varying the way you stand. Wearing flat shoes, as advocated in a care setting, puts tremendous pressure on the tendon all the time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tigerlily-iom said:
I have recently started a new job as a care assistant, and whilst I was doing the day shift I had no problems with my feet, now t hat I am doing night shift, I have very painful feet, so much so it makes it hard to walk, and after my shift when I get out of bed putting my feet on the floor is agony. I also get numbness in my toes. I have this pain most of the time now, any suggestions on how to relieve this pain. I am waiting for an appointment to see the podiatrist. thanks

Could be due to diabetic neuropathy so best to get a podiatrist to thoroughly examine your feet. When I use to work 12 hour shifts I would buy the air-cushioned sole boots and shoes like Dr. Martins, these were by far the most comfortable footwear I had ever worn.

Nigel

raymond123

Dislikes
tv
Medication-I used to take Co-Proximal but little help, now I take 2x25mgAmitriptiline before retiring and find much less pain. I have suffered foot pain for 16 years.