1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Started on Insulin

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by lj1921, Sep 28, 2011.

1. lj1921

lj1921 Type 2 · Active Member

Well I have just had my first 10 units of Insulin(Lanctus) hopefully it is going to help

2. Tracey69

Tracey69 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    You said you have just started on insulin, was you a type2 before hand.
    I'm not sure what you have been advised what to do, but i Recommend you test before and 2 hours after every meal and especially at before bed. this will then show you a pattern of bg levels and help you work out the amount of insulin you need, as we go into a hypo (low blood levels).
    I have been a type 1 for 36yrs and i have four injections a day. I am on Novarapid three times through the day and Lantus solar star at night. I also take Metformin 2 x 500mg twice a day.
    Take care
    Tracey

3. lj1921

Hi
    Yes I was diagnosed 3 years ago as Type 2 and levels are not coming down so have ended up on Lantus once a day 10 units to start with, have been told to test every morning and twice a week before each meal and before bed to see what they are and to see if i need more insulin go back to see nurse a week on monday, i must admit there is no pain at all with injecting - thought there might be, I am also on 4 x 500mg metformin a day and 4 x 80mg Gliclazide a day as well as other tablets for high blood pressure and cholesteral and heart disease, thanks for your advice
    John

4. Tracey69

Tracey69 · Well-Known Member

Hi John
    It has been a couple of days since we spoke , how is the sugar levels going at present.
    It may be time that they will introduce more insulin as you know type2 can go to type1.
    Take care we are all here to help, have a look around the site.
    Tracey

5. edan

edan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Type 2 diabetes does not turn into type 1 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetics do sometimes need insulin to help their blood sugars. This is usually just lantus. I hope the insulin is helping you lj, expect to have to spend a while figuring out the dose though :)

6. lj1921

Hi
    Levels are still high but I was told would probably increase dosage until we get the amount right - thanks for all your replies very much appreciated

John

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook