Started on the insight today!

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've done it, DSN replied with same response as @Chas C & @Snapsy.
Attach new cannula then set the pump to 'fill cannula'
I did have this in the back of my mind as the way to do it but I've taken in a lot of info. I think she said during training that there'd be a gap in insulin delivery without filling the cannula.
Thanks for you help as always

Reactions: Snapsy and Chas C

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Claire007 and @Medusa41 ,

I insert the new cannula, attach, then 'fill cannula', then hit 'start pump'.

If it's a new cannula, it's empty of insulin and needs to be filled.

If you're changing the tubing but not the cannula, the cannula is already full of insulin and does not need to be filled.

Replaced my cannula this morning. And forgot to hit start pump when I'd done it. Doh!

:banghead:

Thanks, good to know re not filling it again if I'm changing the tubing! Makes sense really.
I didn't stop my pump though, just got a 'restart insulin delivery?' message once I'd filled the cannula. Maybe we have slightly different versions.

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
opps yes forgot the start pump bit :) after filling.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't stop my pump though, just got a 'restart insulin delivery?' message once I'd filled the cannula. Maybe we have slightly different versions.
No you're right, Claire, it pauses the pump automatically when it fills the cannula, you don't have to hit start pump after filling, you just need to hit ok at 'restart insulin delivery' ......UNLESS you are Snapsy who wasn't paying attention this morning and forgot to hit ok so that reminder timed out until it warned me a while later - 20-30 mins I think - long enough to scupper my straight Libre line for a couple of hours - that my pump was stopped!

Operator error in my case. To be fair I'm not really on the button with any kind of concentration at the moment - luckily the pump starts to vibrate and shout at me to tell me when I've been daft like that!

:nailbiting:

Reactions: Medusa41

Smiric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, I'm not too well-up on the pump side of things. Is this free on the NHS? If not, are there any pumps free on the NHS? What would you say are the positives/negatives of pumps vs MDI? Cheers.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pumps are free on NHS if you fulfil the NICE Criteria.

Theres a lot of various pumps available, website has details of them all.

I also have a funded CGM for 3 months as I fulfil the criteria by NICE and our CCG to need one.

Reactions: Medusa41

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might be better having a look through the pinned posts at the top of the insulin pump topic @Smiric
But yes, the pump,is free on the NHS but only if you meet the criteria.

Cheers for the clarification re the cannula.