Starting glicazide

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Current reading is 16.3 and I am testing every half hour or so to track the progression of these darned steroids.

So, after an emergency apt today, I am starting glic tomorrow. Just one to see how I get on. Not likely to hypo on my current numbers, but bought emergency jellybabies

Appointment with DN on Tuesday, steroids due to be increased again on Wednesday.

Have been horribly stressed last couple of days, no sleep last night. I feel so much better after apt.

When life chucks you a lemon, cut it up and stick it in a gin and low carb tonic.

Unlimited strips for the Tee2, so not all bad news.

Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully, the Gliclazide will take the harsh edges of your bloods, @xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @DCUKMod. It has been pretty rough today. I am only one one a day for now. Keepting a really tight record so she can try and estimate the dose on Tuesday. It is what it is.

Reactions: 1spuds and DCUKMod

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to get similar readings when on 15mg of prednisolone. I was put on gliclazide and 6 months later taken off them as following a LCHF diet my hba1c went to 39.
I discovered when taking my prednisolone at 8.00 my sugars spiked between 1200 and 1600 due to the steroids.

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take one a day too, newly diagnosed a couple of weeks ago.
Not had a hypo yet, and not sure I’d recognise it if I did!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to get similar readings when on 15mg of prednisolone. I was put on gliclazide and 6 months later taken off them as following a LCHF diet my hba1c went to 39.
I discovered when taking my prednisolone at 8.00 my sugars spiked between 1200 and 1600 due to the steroids.
I am currently on 20mg. 30 from Wednesday and 40 the Wednesday after. Last two days I peaked at 16.3. Hopefully when I speak to DN on Tuesday we can formulate a plan.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

@xfieldok
Forgive me if you have discussed this elsewhere, but a Libre sensor would REALLY help you to map out the bg rises and falls from the steroids, and possibly also allow you to identify when the glic kicks in, and how long it persists.

You may (pls understand that this is speculation) be able to time your Pred and Glic to smooth things out a bit.

A Libre would make it MUCH easier to work it out than by endless finger pricks...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria I did have a quick look around for the libre but the website seems to indicate they are only supplying existing customers. I also found it a bit difficult to find supplies that weren't extortionate. I may have a word with the DN about it on Tuesday. I am not very savvy so far as CGMs go.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy Libre sensors at the pharmacy counter of Asda supermarkets (and others, I think), and a lot of pharmacies, nowadays. Worth ringing round your local Boots, superdrug and supermarkets and asking.

I doubt if you would qualify for a prescription, because you are T2.

You can also use an app to allow a lot of phones to read the readings. Newer iphones and a lot of android phones. Check the app stores.

I’m sure you can find lots of threads on it here on the forum, more info on the Abbott Libre website.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can buy Libre sensors at the pharmacy counter of Asda supermarkets (and others, I think), and a lot of pharmacies, nowadays. Worth ringing round your local Boots, superdrug and supermarkets and asking.

I doubt if you would qualify for a prescription, because you are T2.

You can also use an app to allow a lot of phones to read the readings. Newer iphones and a lot of android phones. Check the app stores.

I’m sure you can find lots of threads on it here on the forum, more info on the Abbott Libre website.
I will have a look around, thanks.

Reactions: Energize

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria I have added my name to the mailing list but don't know when they will be able to supply one :banghead:

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know, @xfieldok , Asda are the cheapest at £44 per sensor, which lasts 14 days. Superdrug charge just over £48, if I remember rightly so don't bother with them!!!

I get mine either from Abbott direct (registered with them several years ago) or a small local pharmacy at £45.50, so worth checking in the 'little' family-type pharmacies.

Remember to get them excluding VAT as you're diabetic - might be worth taking something to show you are prescribed glucose lowering meds to back up your claim. You may, or may not, have to fill in a specific VAT claim form.

If your phone has NFC capabilities, you should be able to scan the sensor, so could manage without buying the Reader.

Even if you have just one sensor, it would show you a graph, plus other information, as to what pattern your glucose levels seem to follow. Definitely recommended ;) Good luck :)

Reactions: xfieldok

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@xfieldok

You will be waiting til the next iceage if you wait for Abbott to put you on the top of the waiting list.

Just phone around the local supermarkets and pharmacies til you find one that stocks the Libre.
You could have one today if you do that.
And check your phone on the link dcukmod gave for compatibilty as a reader.
Personally, if my current phone isn’t compatible, i would buy a new cheap compatible phone and use it just as a reader.

:)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DCUKMod and @Brunneria you guys are absolute stars. Got the freestyle from Asda. My phone has nfc connectivity disabled. Asda didn't have any in stock. Went to a local trader and £119. Phoned my mobile company, they are upgrading me. Unfortunately they can't deliver before Tuesday but that is OK as Wednesday the fun really starts. I feel as though I can now relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Back to Game of Thrones :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod and @Brunneria you guys are absolute stars. Got the freestyle from Asda. My phone has nfc connectivity disabled. Asda didn't have any in stock. Went to a local trader and £119. Phoned my mobile company, they are upgrading me. Unfortunately they can't deliver before Tuesday but that is OK as Wednesday the fun really starts. I feel as though I can now relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Back to Game of Thrones :)

The thing is, @xfieldok , you won't need TV or puppies when you have the Libre and scanning. You'll have RSI and data overload.

When you get the sensor, my suggestion would be o stick it on, then leave it a day os so before activating. I have found that significantly improved the accuracy of the sensors.

It also means you can decide how t get the best out of the sensor. I know they last 14 x 24, but for me, there were periods of the day where I learned more than others.

Now you just need to find a spare 11 year old to set up the phone..........

Glad you're sorted.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, I am delighted for you!

Also gives you time to read up a bit about the Libre.

There have been some fab newbie Libreite threads here on the forum that may interest you.
The same concerns, issues and questions crop up with nearly everyone, so reading a couple of them will shortcut all those. :D
@maglil55 did one a couple of years ago https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/life-with-libre.118450/ and I think @HSSS has one running now.

I completely agree with @DCUKMod.
If you popped it on on Monday, it would have settled by the time your phone is sorted on Wed.

:D

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. Game of Thrones completed!

Appear to have peaked today at 13.4 so slightly better. Adrenaline is starting to subside and feeling tired but in a good way.

Unfortunately my 11 year old helper left for Spain in the early hours so will have to muddle through by myself.

I will read up on the threads mentioned, probably will have more questions at some point.

A special thanks once again to @DCUKMod and @Brunneria. Without this forum I would be up **** creek without a paddle. ❤️

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update. Due to add another glicazide tomorrow making total of 80mg per day. DN says if I need more help, they are unwilling to increase the glic because of the hammering it gives the pancreas. So if I do still have very high numbers I may be put on to insulin for the duration of the steroids. She says that I would at least be able to adjust doses as needed. I have to be ultra careful with diet whilst recording numbers until I am sorted.

Got my new phone today, however despite what they told me it doesn't have NFC so it has to go back. Have another one coming Friday. Stress levels are in yo yo mode today.