Starting insulin

fussybritches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I am a 70 year old female. I have been type 2 for a number of years using Metformin, glimerpiride,and Semaglutide. However due to my readings going up significantly and possible CKD starting, my gp has decided to put me on insulin and I see the nurse tomorrow to learn how to inject etc. I am scared stiff and would welcome any tips forum users can give me!

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi. I am a 70 year old female. I have been type 2 for a number of years using Metformin, glimerpiride,and Semaglutide. However due to my readings going up significantly and possible CKD starting, my gp has decided to put me on insulin and I see the nurse tomorrow to learn how to inject etc. I am scared stiff and would welcome any tips forum users can give me!
Hi,
I have been needle phobic all my life, but for 18 years injected myself in the thighs. In 1985 a student nurse said I might get on better using the abdomen. I used to lightly pinch up a fold of skin and slowly inject myself twice a day for 28 years. She was absolutely right! As a Type 1 friend said to me "It's like a knife going through warm butter with today's fine needles." I hope you cope in the same way. Good luck!

• Friendly
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It honestly doesn't hurt at all, in fact most of the time you won't even be sure you've got the needle inserted.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @fussybritches , I think my first two tips would be:
1. To go to your appointment tomorrow and try to take it all in. Write down what you've learnt right after, and come back here with any questions you have.
2. Aways (ALWAYS!) carry your glucose meter and something sweet. Hypos aren't much of a problem usually, but if you do go low you want to be able to treat right then and there, without having to navigate stairs or going into a store.

You'll do just fine!

• Useful
Reactions: JAT1

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in this position at the moment. Oral medication is making my stomach problems worse. Last HB1ac was 54, up from 44, 3 months ago.
I was initially scared of insulin because of the hypos etc but reading up I think this might help me and get me free of the medication that is causing me stomach issues. I am having a chat with the DN tomorrow and would be interested in how your appointment went. Good luck!