Starting kindergaren, need advice

Dpapa0514

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So my son Dylan will be starting kindergarten this next upcoming school year and im really worried about everything. I'm sure this is completely normal to be so nervous but I need some advice.
So not only have I been trying to teach him how to tell when hes HI or a LOW, ive also been doing my research about this and came across a "daily plan form". The school had told me they have a nurse on staff thats amazing and im feeling comfortable With what shes told me for his care during school but now that its time to actually register him no one has brought up this daily plan to me from the school so I'm just going to go in and talk to them with all the things I feel should be with/on this plan.. but I'm not sure which plan or the best way to include everything (because im sure I'm forgetting something).
Anyone have any suggestions or advice?!

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Dpapa0514 Your kindergarten sounds alot more switched on than most schools/nurseries who struggle to manage with type 1 kids. I attached some resources in the link earlier to JDRF site which are useful for both schools and parents and it's important your care plan is agreed before he starts so some clear rules/boundaries are set in terms of expectations.

Does he administer his own insulin and hypo treatments when required ?

You can also get a continuous glucose monitor by Dexcom called the G6, it's linked to a smart phone and can alert to highs/lows and once your set up as a buddy on this system then you will get alerts if he does go high/low as can the school nurse if they allow this, ok it's pricey at £159 a month but for a worried parent it's a great way to know how he is doing simply by monitoring his glucose levels via an app on your phone.

D

Deleted Account

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You could ask your DSN to make an appointment with their nurse as well.
At my daughter’s kindergarten (she’s not diabetic) there was a T1 boy in her year and his keyworker took responsibility for monitoring etc.

Reactions: Dpapa0514

Dpapa0514

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @Dpapa0514 Your kindergarten sounds alot more switched on than most schools/nurseries who struggle to manage with type 1 kids. I attached some resources in the link earlier to JDRF site which are useful for both schools and parents and it's important your care plan is agreed before he starts so some clear rules/boundaries are set in terms of expectations.

Does he administer his own insulin and hypo treatments when required ?

You can also get a continuous glucose monitor by Dexcom called the G6, it's linked to a smart phone and can alert to highs/lows and once your set up as a buddy on this system then you will get alerts if he does go high/low as can the school nurse if they allow this, ok it's pricey at £159 a month but for a worried parent it's a great way to know how he is doing simply by monitoring his glucose levels via an app on your phone.
He actually is on the humalog junior quick pen, then lantus which we use the syringe. Which he does not do any of it himself.
Im goimg to look into the cgm you suggested with the app. That sounds super convienent. Thank you for the advice!!

Reactions: Juicyj

Dpapa0514

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes UK has pages of advice about starting school including sample Individual Healthcare Plan and what should be in it.
This may help: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...chers-school-governors-responsible-bodies#ihp

JDRF is also likely to have plenty of advice.
I rarely visit their site because it is very child-focused but I think that is what you want.
This is a start: https://jdrf.org.uk/information-sup...diabetes/everyday-life/school-and-university/ There may be more.
Thank you

Dpapa0514

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could ask your DSN to make an appointment with their nurse as well.
At my daughter’s kindergarten (she’s not diabetic) there was a T1 boy in her year and his keyworker took responsibility for monitoring etc.
Thank you!