Statin dilemma

lindisfel

Expert
I guess for all of us, it comes back to which experts we trust.

Not sure if you follow Twitter, but there's a very interesting conversation going on between Ivor Cummins and others about what a BS marker LDL is for CAD.

https://twitter.com/tednaiman/status/890203548704686081

A link worth reading:
http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2...-the-bad-cholesterol-thats-simplistic-foolery

Another graphic illustrating the lipids of the 136,905 patients hospitalised with CAD (unfortunately it uses US measurements):

DFqjZ6WUwAAn8tb.jpg
Hi Indy that three dimensional graph on fat emporers blog is quite instructive on how LDL can be irrevelevant. thanks Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Conv

Conversion to UK numbers (rounded to one decimal point) for these two graphs gives the following :
TC 4.5 / 4.7
LDL 2.7 / 2.9
Trigs 1.8 / 1.9
HDL 1.0 / 0.9

Trigs/HDL ratios of 1.8 / 2.1
Geoff
Hi Geoff, my HDL was low before I started LCgoodfats but I'm not sure how that works in LADA. Certainly my trigs came down as well, it would be good if one could get their figures better but I guess that is where statins are a benefit. Derek

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Geoff, my HDL was low before I started LCgoodfats but I'm not sure how that works in LADA. Certainly my trigs came down as well, it would be good if one could get their figures better but I guess that is where statins are a benefit. Derek
My HDL is only 1.1, but my trigs are also only 1.1, giving a trigs/HDL ratio of 1. A ratio lower than 1.3 means you have more large, friendly LDL particles. Above 1.3 means you have more small, harmful LDL particles. This trigs/HDL ratio is considered by some the best predicter of cardiovascular risk. I don't worry about my LDL figure, and therefore have no interest in reducing it via statins.
Geoff

Reactions: lindisfel

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On my last interim test in June my LDL had increased by 0.6 after over 3 years of decreasing/stable since LCHF. I got a phone call from the nurse, acting on instructions from the GP, to offer me statins (again). I told her to look at the other components. Trigs 0.6, HDL 2.47, ratio 0.24. She fully agreed I don't need statins. She has now marked my records not to offer statins in future.