Statin Induced Peripheral Neuropathy

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctors surgery has tried to get me to take statins for years. Luckily I have been aware that there are quite serious risks to taking them and I just don't feel those risks are worth a reduction in cholesterol (for me).

I just noticed this in a google search and thought it important to share given how frequently people with diabetes are advised to take statins.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3103035/

Reactions: dbr10 and zand

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sophia, very interesting, it seems that most Doctors think statins go hand in hand with diabetes regardless of anything else!

Reactions: dbr10

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sophia, very interesting, it seems that most Doctors think statins go hand in hand with diabetes regardless of anything else!

You are welcome. I'll be honest, I just find these things terrifying!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You may find it interesting to view Indy51 thread which has a short presentation called 'Statin Wars'.
No just those of us with Diabetes being targetted but those without any chronic or diagnosed conditions whatsoever are being urged to take these drugs. Big Pharma is said to have grossed $3 Trillion by 2020 just on statins by 2020.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find them quite outrageous..

There's a series called something like "The men who make us spend" it's a three (I think) part documentary series about advertising. Anyway, in one of the episodes (I think the second) it goes into detail about the motivation behind the medical profession adopting the pro-statin mantra. It's well worth a watch if you can find it.

I also agree, this Statins buiness is outrageous and I am disgusted that our health is consideed so disposable as to risk awful side effects from these things even when we object to taking them.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may find it interesting to view Indy51 thread which has a short presentation called 'Statin Wars'.
No just those of us with Diabetes being targetted but those without any chronic or diagnosed conditions whatsoever are being urged to take these drugs. Big Pharma is said to have grossed $3 Trillion by 2020 just on statins by 2020.

Thank you, I will check that out.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a series called something like "The men who make us spend" it's a three (I think) part documentary series about advertising. Anyway, in one of the episodes (I think the second) it goes into detail about the motivation behind the medical profession adopting the pro-statin mantra. It's well worth a watch if you can find it.

I also agree, this Statins buiness is outrageous and I am disgusted that our health is consideed so disposable as to risk awful side effects from these things even when we object to taking them.
Yes by Jacques Perretti (I think thats the spelling) he did a whole series on various ways to part us from our money and health.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So .......... I wonder how many diabetics diagnosed with PN were told it was a diabetes complication, when in fact it may have been a statin complication, and continue to be prescribed statins, thus making it worse??

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So .......... I wonder how many diabetics diagnosed with PN were told it was a diabetes complication, when in fact it may have been a statin complication, and continue to be prescribed statins, thus making it worse??
I imagine is was 100%

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You just have to ask them "would you prescribe this to a close relative or loved one". My GP answered with a cheeky grin "I can think of one".

You might like to read https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11201669/GPs-refusing-to-prescribe-statins.html, it might be 4 years old but supposedly indicates that not ALL GPs are on the bandwagon.

I asked the same question to a neurology consultant when he suggested warfarin/other blood thinner in my particular circumstances. I asked if he would prescribe it to his mother. His answer was a firm shake of the head and a resounding no.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked the same question to a neurology consultant when he suggested warfarin/other blood thinner in my particular circumstances. I asked if he would prescribe it to his mother. His answer was a firm shake of the head and a resounding no.
It's a test we should all apply

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, health care providers are admitting they wouldn't give statins to someone they love while actually trying to get patients to take them?? I had chalked this issue up to being conditioned by the industry to believe in the product but to knowingly prescribe something so harmful is just outrageous!!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
How does the author know that the PN was statin induced. It doesn't seem to spell it out.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So, health care providers are admitting they wouldn't give statins to someone they love while actually trying to get patients to take them??

Yes, I think it was the BMJ that published a straw poll taken of several hundred GPs and I think it was as much as 60% who wouldn't prescribe to family.