statins advice needed

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
I've just got back from seeing the doctors Diabetes nurse who has taken yet more blood - apparently constantly sweating isn't a side effect of any of the medication I'm on - My Hba1c has gone up and so has my cholesterol not by much hba1c went up by .2 and my weight went down by 2 pound so I figured that's a fair exchange. However the nurse has spoken to the doctor and asked me to think about going on statins A medication I know nothing about so any advice about them would be appreciated.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
If you have not had a stroke, heart attack and are being considered for stating treatment as Primary treatment, I would be extremely cautious. Side effects include, but are not limited to:

- diabetes

- cramps

- sore joints

- heart disease

- kidney and liver damage

- dementia

Read this summary by Dr John Biffa, leading UK cardiologist

http://www.thecholesteroltruth.com/...p?x=X963R948&gclid=CP7uj-7Qic0CFUJmGwod93APYg

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to ask the surgery what your lipids breakdown is e.g. LDL and HDL readings and also your Trigs. This breakdown tells you much more than total cholesterol reading which is fairly meaningless and probably what the doc is using. If you Google the web you will find endless debates about the pros and cons of statins and cholesterol. If you LDL, HDL and Trigs ratios are not good then statins may be relevant, but otherwise unless you have a family history of heart problems then there may be no reason to take statins.