Statins!!!

magern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m T2 on metformin. So my Hba1c has gone from 71 to 48 to 46 now at 52. My cholesterol is at 5.8 and has never been lower than 5.2. My doctor has now prescribed me 20mg of a statin drug because of my Qrisk score being 45% over my lifetime. Are statins a safe drug and do they affect blood sugar?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Statins are well known to raise blood glucose levels. Some members report side effects such as pain and brain fog although some people suffer none of the side effects.

It would be much easier for members to give advice if you have the full results of your lipid panel as just having a Total Cholesterol number is useless really as it is all the numbers especiall HDL and Triglycerides that are important. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The main thing that annoys me about the Qrisk scores are that when the Dr checks the Type 2 box a whole chunk of extra risk is added on. It takes no account of your control and hence your HbA1c reading. So those of us that have good control are lumped in with the type 2s who are going around filling there faces with high carb foods and running stratospheric HbA1c readings!

Reactions: LucySW

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The main thing that annoys me about the Qrisk scores are that when the Dr checks the Type 2 box a whole chunk of extra risk is added on. It takes no account of your control and hence your HbA1c reading. So those of us that have good control are lumped in with the type 2s who are going around filling there faces with high carb foods and running stratospheric HbA1c readings!
You must remember who is responsible for 'educating' those with T2. As per my signature 'It's only easy after you have learned it'.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I think statins are a very individual choice.
for many late diagnosed the option with change of diet , and possibly some weight loss , combined with results that are marginal , seem to make the decision a bit difficult.

for me -- diagnosed aged 14 in 1972 ( long before cholesterol reducing drugs had been introduced )
the theory was to keep blood pressure and cholesterol controlled ( through diet) to assist in reducing the possibility of long term complications that were known to exist at that time , in terms of heart attacks , strokes , and kidney disease.

perhaps the medical community have not moved with the times ..... but for me still here after 45 years diagnosed and living pretty well -- I am in favour of statins for some ( though maybe not all ))

said my piece ( don't shoot the messenger !! :D )

magern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
merry christmas all!! since taking the statins my blood sugar has rarely been under 8. normally would be 6-7 in mornings currently 8-9 with the statins. think a trip back to docs is needed

Reactions: Guzzler

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my doc wanted to put me on Statins & I told him it was up to him if he prescribed them but if he did the prescription would go in the bin As I did not want them. He has now made a note on my records that say Statins or derivitives of not to be prescribed

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I’m T2 on metformin. So my Hba1c has gone from 71 to 48 to 46 now at 52. My cholesterol is at 5.8 and has never been lower than 5.2. My doctor has now prescribed me 20mg of a statin drug because of my Qrisk score being 45% over my lifetime. Are statins a safe drug and do they affect blood sugar?

My personal view is the statins create more problems than they resolve, having had adverse side effects from two different brands.

I think 5.8 (with a decent overall lipid profile) is pretty **** good. I am nearer 7 but with no obvious problems and my HCPs are happy.

Statins have a risk of causing T2 diabetes so I have never understood why they prescribe them to T2s.

It is your choice, but I would be reluctant to take them without a more pressing reason than meeting current NICE guidelines. There is a degree of pressure on GPs to prescribe to meet clinical targets.