Statins

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are some statins less likely to cause Hb1ac spikes than others?
Atorvastin caused an 8 point increase in my Hb1ac level. I have high triglycerides-3.6- although overall Cholesterol ok -4.2. Ratio not so good. Doc wants me to go back on statins Anyone recommend a better statin?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Statins raise Triglycerides and lower HDL. Low carb way of eating (without statins) does the opposite, and in a majority (but sadly not all) it also lowers LDL.
Even for me (a slim T2D who are more likely to get higher LDL from Low Carb) the raised HLD and lower Trigs makes my heart risk number actually lower than when I was eating a 'heart healthy' diet and was on Statins.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's important (doctors would do well to understand) to give any change in medication/stopping medication or diet/lifestyle changes time to work. As we get older, our bodies often need more time to adjust, and while they are doing this, various readings go high and low while the body seeks homeostasis.

For a personal example, thanks to my dietary changes, as well as BG falling into the 'remission' range, my HDL and Triglycerides have dropped to a most satisfactory level, while my LDL has dropped too but not quite so well as Nursie requires. "It's only down .5" she said in a dismissive manner. I pointed out that if it had gone UP by .5 she'd be even more critical.

Each of us will make up our own minds about what we do and don't take by way of medication. Having read a lot of proper research, I'm quite happy for cholesterol readings to drop as my body requires, and - frankly - having read the most modern research, I'm not concerned about it at all. I remain obdurate about refusing to take statins. Knowledge is power!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are some statins less likely to cause Hb1ac spikes than others?
Atorvastin caused an 8 point increase in my Hb1ac level. I have high triglycerides-3.6- although overall Cholesterol ok -4.2. Ratio not so good. Doc wants me to go back on statins Anyone recommend a better statin?
How long had you fasted before the blood was taken for the test.
How do you usually eat?
Do you want to take them?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins raise Triglycerides and lower HDL. Low carb way of eating (without statins) does the opposite, and in a majority (but sadly not all) it also lowers LDL.
Even for me (a slim T2D who are more likely to get higher LDL from Low Carb) the raised HLD and lower Trigs makes my heart risk number actually lower than when I was eating a 'heart healthy' diet and was on Statins.
Do statins really raise triglycerides? I've Googled and can only find sources that say statins lower triglycerides.

I'm not arguing with you, I have no personal experience of this so I'm looking for more evidence ready for the next time my doctor tries to persuade me to take them.

Last edited:

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do statins really raise triglycerides? I've Googled and can only find sources that say statins lower triglycerides.

I'm not arguing with you, I have no personal experience of this so I'm looking for more evidence ready for the next time my doctor tries to persuade me to take them.

Anecdotally they lowered my triglycerides before I changed my diet, but eating low carb helped additionally. I have been on a statin for years. The more I hear, the more I would like to get off of it. I am going to talk to my dr about it next visit.

Reactions: zand

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

My personal experience was that Statins appeared to raise my triglycerides. Certainly if they didn't, then they didn't drop them noticeably like Low Carb does! When I was on Statins I was also eating Low Fat (and of course high Carb) 'healthy heart' diet. So I can't really compare the statins on their own on a constant diet.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand