Statins

anniesmeth

I wasd diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year ago,the nurse automaticaly put me on simvastatin 40mg,one to be taken at night,i have just found out these statins can be quite dangerous,im also losing my hair,as anybody else heard this???

kjt57

I have been on Simvastatin for a few years, but recently I have noticed more hair loss. Will bring it up with doctor when I see him in three weeks.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to look at this web page before making a decision to take a statin drug. It's by a US astronaut, flight sergeon, family doctor, researcher, and concerned citizen. He's also authored two books about statin drugs.

http://www.spacedoc.com/

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
noblehead said:
Yes the subject of statins once again but I thought I would throw this in the mix! :(

Last week I spent a few days in hospital with severe chest pains, mainly radiating in the sternum but occasionally down my arms and throughout my chest, been going on for a few weeks now but my gp put this down to musculoskeletal pain after I tripped whilst walking the dog a few weeks before and landed on my front. As the pain got worse he weighed up the pros and con's and decided that I should be admitted to hospital in case this was angina or another heart related condition given I am middle-aged and had type 1 for 30 years.

Anyways after numerous ECGs, Chest x-ray, full blood counts, Echo-cardiogram and finally a Coronary Angiogram last Friday I was allowed home after all test came back clear and my cardiologist said my heart was healthy and the pain was more than likely a condition called Costochondritis.

The Thursday night before the angiogram a cardio nurse came to question me about lifestyle, medication and other health related issues before asking me to sign a consent form, during the conversation I was asked about whether I smoked, exercised regularly and ate a healthy low salt/ lowfat diet, after checking my replies she said everything was in order and my lifestyle and diet were in keeping with their recommendations, simply saying that I still needed to lose some more weight which I assured her I was doing at the moment.

She then went on to ask about statins and did I take one daily, I asked why as I had low cholesterol and my gp has never mentioned this before, her reply was that all long-term diabetics should be on statins routinely regardless of their cholesterol level. So this in mind I visited my gp this morning and asked if I needed to go on a statin tablet, he's reply was absolutely not as my cholesterol was fine and the results of heart tests were very encouraging, he said that up until last year it was recommended that diabetics should be put on statins to prevent CVD but this advice has now changed, only those who are thought to be at risk are offered them and he didn't see why I should take one needlessly.

Now I am confused, OK I'm fine for now and last weeks results were most welcome but I do wonder about 10-15 years down the line, any thoughts who is right or who is wrong?

Nigel

In june this year, monday morning driving into work imstarted to feel a little tight across the chest, once i got to work i thought give it 30 mins and if no better i will call the doctors to get an appointment

30 minutes later i called the docs, they asked if it was urgent for that day, i said i had chest pain so they put me through to a nurse.. Her response was call an ambulance.. I said i dont think its that bad and i could come to the surgery, she advised against it but said ask for h at reception and i would be seen right away

She stuck me on a ecg, took the results and showed them to the doctor, who then came in the room and said you have had a heart attack and ive called an ambulance

Anyway had all the tests like you, and found to be ok, but the did put me on a 80mg statin, and aspirin, which the doctor has not taken me off yet(3 months later)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
During a discussion on this forum a couple of months ago I Googled for opinions on statins and got this:-

http://www.spacedoc.com/why_statins_do_ ... _than_good

Here is an extract from the article.

"People on long-term statin therapy start to notice that their hair is receding faster, they're developing cataracts, they can't hear as well as they used to, they keep forgetting things, they can't open the pickle jar any more, and perhaps they'll need rotator cuff surgery soon, as their shoulders are so sore. They think it's just because they're growing old, but these are all side effects that my research, together with my students at MIT, has uncovered, by comparing statin drug side effects with side effects associated with other drugs in age-matched reviews."

I am now quite pleased that I seem to have an allergy to them. I get cramped muscles mostly in the legs to the point where on two occasions I spent a month unable to walk. On another occasion my body slowly went quite rigid such that I could not move my head and I was sent to the physio to sort it out. I am not a fan of statins.

I can still remember my name though.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Somehow missed this thread until this morning.

Nothing to add to the discussion as such.

Just wanted to say congratulations on the all clear from the cardio tests you underwent, you and yours must be very relieved Nigel :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

shop

Hi Nigel,

Glad you are OK now and you must be relieved about your cardio results :)

In answer to your question. I had a letter a few yrs back telling me to book an appt with my GP. He told me that as a matter of course all diabetics should now take Statins and Asprin. At the time there was alot written about the downsides of these drugs. I knew that I was not in a high risk group for either of these and didnt take them. At my next Diabetes appt at the hosp I queried this with my consultant, who agreed that as I was not in a risk catagory for either of these, there was no need for me to take them. He said if things changed over the coming years then the sitauation could be reviewed.

I am still not taking them.

Lucy.xxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
searley said:
In june this year, monday morning driving into work imstarted to feel a little tight across the chest, once i got to work i thought give it 30 mins and if no better i will call the doctors to get an appointment

30 minutes later i called the docs, they asked if it was urgent for that day, i said i had chest pain so they put me through to a nurse.. Her response was call an ambulance.. I said i dont think its that bad and i could come to the surgery, she advised against it but said ask for h at reception and i would be seen right away

She stuck me on a ecg, took the results and showed them to the doctor, who then came in the room and said you have had a heart attack and ive called an ambulance

Anyway had all the tests like you, and found to be ok, but the did put me on a 80mg statin, and aspirin, which the doctor has not taken me off yet(3 months later)

Sounds like a scary experience searley, I'm no expert but if you've had a heart attack I'd imagine they'll be keeping you on the statin and aspirin long-term, if concerned talk to your gp.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
Somehow missed this thread until this morning.

Nothing to add to the discussion as such.

Just wanted to say congratulations on the all clear from the cardio tests you underwent, you and yours must be very relieved Nigel :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Sid....if not a little late :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
shop said:
Hi Nigel,

Glad you are OK now and you must be relieved about your cardio results :)

In answer to your question. I had a letter a few yrs back telling me to book an appt with my GP. He told me that as a matter of course all diabetics should now take Statins and Asprin. At the time there was alot written about the downsides of these drugs. I knew that I was not in a high risk group for either of these and didnt take them. At my next Diabetes appt at the hosp I queried this with my consultant, who agreed that as I was not in a risk catagory for either of these, there was no need for me to take them. He said if things changed over the coming years then the sitauation could be reviewed.

I am still not taking them.

Lucy.xxx

Thanks Lucy! :)

Pleased your HCP's don't think your in the 'at risk category'. To date I've not taken a statin either and at my last appointment with my Endo he said that it wasn't necessary given my recent cholesterol results and cardio checks last year, he did say however that he couldn't rule out statins in the next 5-10 years so will wait and see.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10

Heart healthCoenzyme Q10 helps to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. There is evidence of CoQ10 deficiency in heart failure. Recently, CoQ10 plasma concentrations have been demonstrated as an independent predictor of mortality in chronic heart failure, CoQ10 deficiency being detrimental to the long-term prognosis of chronic heart failure.[41][citation needed] CoQ10 is available as medicine in several European countries, but is in these countries also available as a food supplement. Oxidation of the circulating LDL is thought to play a key role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, which is the underlying disorder leading to heart attack and ischemic strokes[42][43][44] and CHD. Studies in the last decade have demonstrated that the content of Ubiquinol in human LDL affords protection against the oxidative modifications of LDL themselves, thus lowering their atherogenic potency.[45][46]

[edit] Migraine headachesSupplementation of coenzyme Q10 has been found to have a beneficial effect on the condition of some sufferers of migraine headaches. So far, three studies have been done, of which two were small, did not have a placebo group, were not randomized, and were open-label,[47] and one was a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial, which found statistically significant results despite its small sample size of 42 patients.[48] Dosages were 150 to 300 mg/day.

It has been used effectively in the prophylaxis of migraines, especially in combination with a daily supplement of magnesium citrate 500 mg and riboflavin (vitamin B2) 400 mg.[citation needed]

[edit] CancerCoQ10 is also being investigated as a treatment for cancer, and as relief from cancer treatment side-effects.[49][50][51][52]

[edit] Cardiac arrestAnother recent study shows a survival benefit after cardiac arrest if coenzyme Q10 is administered in addition to commencing active cooling of the body to 90–93 degrees Fahrenheit (32–34 degrees Celsius).[53]

[edit] Blood pressureThere are several reports concerning the effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure in human studies.[54]

A recent (2007) meta-analysis of the clinical trials of CoQ10 for hypertension reviewed all published trials of coenzyme Q10 for hypertension, and assessed overall efficacy, consistency of therapeutic action, and side-effect incidence. Meta-analysis was performed in 12 clinical trials (362 patients) comprising three randomized controlled trials, one crossover study, and eight open-label studies. The meta-analysis concluded that coenzyme Q10 has the potential in hypertensive patients to lower systolic blood pressure by up to 17 mm Hg and diastolic blood pressure by up to 10 mm Hg without significant side-effects.[55]

[edit] Periodontal diseaseA review study has shown that there is no clinical benefit to the use of CoQ10 in the treatment of periodontal disease.[56] Most of the studies suggesting otherwise were outdated, focused on in-vitro tests,[57][58][59] had too few test subjects and/or erroneous statistical methodology and trial set-up,[60][61] or were sponsored by a manufacturer of the product.[62]

Dr. Bruno Loos, head of the periodontology department at Academisch Centrum Tandheelkunde Amsterdam (ACTA), states[citation needed] that the Pharma Nord website links to scientific articles that should prove the effectiveness of Coenzyme Q10 for periodontal disease, but all are of very poor quality.[citation needed][63] The Dutch Academy of Periodontics (NvvP) has issued numerous warnings against claims of any link between Coenzyme Q10 and periodontal disease.[64][65]

[edit] LifespanOne study demonstrated that low dosages of coenzyme Q10 reduce oxidation and DNA double-strand breaks, and a combination of a diet rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids and coenzyme Q10 supplementation leads to a longer lifespan in rats.[66] Coles and Harris demonstrated an extension in the lifespan of rats when they were given coenzyme Q10 supplementation.[67] But multiple studies have since found no increase in lifespan or decrease in aging in mice and rats supplemented with coenzyme Q10.[68][69][70][71] Another study demonstrated that coenzyme Q10 extends the lifespan of C. elegans (nematode).[72]