Step Aerobics for Beginners

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Eat your heart out Jane Fonda!!!

I've ordered myself a step from Amazon so that I can get up during the adverts and do some step aerobics and maybe save on my central heating bill this winter into the bargain!

I've not been able to exercise much due to various health issues so I'm starting with some gentle moves that I found on youtube videos.

Does anyone do step aerobics and if so, how did you find it helped with your weight loss? I just need to get my body used to moving around again to start and strengthen up a bit, but I'm hoping it will help burn a few pounds off too. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Part of my work-out at the gym 3 times a week is steps. I have a step at home, but I'm ashamed to say it usually gets used by my grandchildren as a seat. They pretend it's a car or a train. It's handy if the house is full of people. It's too low down for the oldies, but a couple of kids can sit on it.
Hana

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
hanadr said:
Part of my work-out at the gym 3 times a week is steps. I have a step at home, but I'm ashamed to say it usually gets used by my grandchildren as a seat. They pretend it's a car or a train. It's handy if the house is full of people. It's too low down for the oldies, but a couple of kids can sit on it.
Hana

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You're like me Hana. Mine will probably end up in the bathroom as an aid to help me to get into the bath :roll:

But honestly, I've started swimming again and I need to build myself up at home so that I can do a bit more at the gym in future. I love swimming but I'd get bored if I went every day so I'm trying variations. I like line dancing too and the gym has a Wednesday afternoon session which I've been thinking about joining. :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
roryShuler said:
I think so it will be helpful for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAhV4lqIRQ

--------------------------
[advertising link removed]

Thanks for the video Rory - it looks like a manageable one for me because I've been staring at the step and wondering what I'm supposed to do with it. :lol: So far all I've done is jump on and off it a few times but haven't really got into the rhythm of anything, so I'll have a go at that video tomorrow. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cwln101l.jpg

this is more my sort of thing : )

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Do you live in a bungalow Grace, serious question?

If you dont then you will no doubt already own quite a few 'steps' in the form of a flight of stairs. A few years ago I had a long course of physiotherapy and one of the exercises they told me was to use my stairs as a step and walk up and down just one or two steps starting with alternate feet keeping my back straight whilst clenching my buttocks, this was for for strengthening the core muscles (tummy and lower back).

Unfortunately exercise only aggravated my arthritis and pain relief was the only alternative for me, but it seemed like a good exercise.

Good luck with your step :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the you tube vid above is a bit hard for a beginner. I think you might struggle with and worse fall off and injure yourself.

This set of videos hasn't got brilliant sound quality (though has subtitles) but it does begin with how to use a step safely. Might be a good idea before you go onto something more difficult.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AueTa1_LOmc

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sid Bonkers said:
Do you live in a bungalow Grace, serious question?

If you dont then you will no doubt already own quite a few 'steps' in the form of a flight of stairs. A few years ago I had a long course of physiotherapy and one of the exercises they told me was to use my stairs as a step and walk up and down just one or two steps starting with alternate feet keeping my back straight whilst clenching my buttocks, this was for for strengthening the core muscles (tummy and lower back).

Unfortunately exercise only aggravated my arthritis and pain relief was the only alternative for me, but it seemed like a good exercise.

Good luck with your step :D

Yes Sid, I do live in a bungalow, can't manage stairs these days due to the breathlessness on exertion and a dicky left knee. It's a tiny little place, I haven't got room to swing a cat, which is why I bought the step. Phoenix and Rory have given me some good beginners videos to make a start with. I had no idea you could do so much just with a step. And once I've learned the movements I can just choose my own music and go at a pace that suits me. Good for cardio and strengthening up the muscles I think. :D