1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stepped off the Wagon a bit

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by blanc71, Dec 9, 2018.

1. blanc71

blanc71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very true ,I know what you mean,it can pull you apart,most of the time I go without but love my safe treats on Saturday but just got too understand the next stage of this situation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have half a bottle of Mc Williams 10 year old tawny port left which will be gone over xmas. :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know what criteria they use for prescribing Trulicity but that is the non-insulin medication I was given after metformin and Januvia. Might be worth asking about that drug, it is highly successful for me.

4. Serena51

Serena51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info jpscloud. I will bear this in mind next time I see her. Does it do the same as gliclazide? (not that I am clear on that either.

5. Ponchu

Ponchu · Well-Known Member

This is a great mindset. It is a “thankful” one that makes sense physically & psychologically.

Celebrating w butter, animal fats, wonderful meats....

Great post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I actually made it through the day yesterday without any grains. I occasionally eat them in the form of oatmeal or an Atkins low-carb high-protein bar but yesterday I didn't eat even those, and this morning my FBG was a nice low 5.1.

I will try it again today but may be very difficult since I bought another box of Atkins bars yesterday. I'm hoping they will stay in the cupboard 'til Christmas Day.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yup. Eat plants and animals. Lots of them :hungry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ponchu

I’m fortunate enough to both love salad and tolerate a small amount of tomato & carrot.

Not everyone can.

My staple uses to be

Steak
    Baked potato
    Salad
    Buttery corn

I don’t tolerate the baked potato & haven’t tested corn.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jpscloud

Oops only just saw this. I don't know much about gliclazide or actually how trulicity works, sorry to say, except that it isn't insulin. I do think my improved health and blood sugars are to do with the change in appetite trulicity caused though.

10. BarbaraG

BarbaraG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello - I’ve not fallen off the wagon so much as jumped off it. HbA1C over 80.

Gliclazide is a sulphonylurea, it stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin. Trulicity works completely differently, it mimics a gut hormone called GLP-1. Its effects are to encourage insulin release, suppress the release of glucose from the liver and slow the emptying of the stomach.

I’ve just been prescribed Trulicity to go with my increased dose of Metformin and I’m going to start just after Christmas. And then back on the low carb....

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. blanc71

I've jumped off like a stunt man this week.
    More self reward.More OCD.
    More stress due to the perfect holiday break.
    Fed up and seems like a bout of weakness.

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. Charis1213

Charis1213 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just enjoy the rest of the season , try to have some low carb treats and don't feel guilty at all .

I'm blessed as I don't drink alcohol I don't like it , but I do love sweet things and although i do I haven't missed sweet stuff like I thought i would .

My blood sugar has come right down to under 7.9 after eating . I'm very pleased with this as its only five weeks into keto diet .

I have a cup of mixed berries after my evening meal every night with whipped double cream and a sprinkle of dark chocolate on the top , I do have a small bar of dark chocolate too and it doesn't spike my sugar which is a bonus . I have had to choose 70 percent chocolate though as the darker makes me poorly .

So Christmas day we are at our son's and I am going to eat the dinner which he is making but just have a small roast potato and lots of meat and veg with gravy ( yes I'm going have some gravy ) because its made with all the juices of the meat .

I'm also going to have a bit of homemade all butter cake with double cream on . Boxing day back to the strict high fat low carb .

• Like Like x 2
  13. blanc71

Hi Charis
    Thank you
    Have a wonderful Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Peadair O Brionn

Peadair O Brionn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m confused . I’ve been LCHF for the last 9 months ,since diagnosis .
    Last HbA1c was 39 waiting for new results atm . I like a drink . Low carb beer . A few pints at the weekend . A few malt whiskeys now and again etc etc . I’m sitting here now sipping a nice brandy and light ginger ale . After a big steak and eggs . My bloods haven’t been above 5.8 for months now . I’m just wondering am I doing something wrong . Everyone seems to be saying alcohol is a no no . Or a treat I actually have a nice drink most weekends and my bloods are pretty good all round . It goes a bit low sometimes but I’m not on any meds and I feel ok at about 3.7 to 3.9 . But next day it’s up to about 5 to 5.6 . I think if you know how many carbs you’re taking in with the beer or whatever you should be ok .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. jpscloud

Happy Christmas to everyone, on the wagon or off!

• Like Like x 2
  16. BarbaraG

BarbaraG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Alcohol depresses blood glucose. Just saying.....

My understanding is that if carb count is the main concern, go for spirits as first choice, then dry wine, then beer as last choice. As with anything else, there are pros and cons. Some people would prefer to have one of their first choice from time to time, than drink an inferior (to their taste buds) alternative more often.

17. Tori71

Tori71 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

That sounds really nice. Any suggestions for a port that's not too dry? Also, what's the carb content like? Remember my mum used to have the odd port and lemon!

18. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I only buy that particular bottle I mentioned, I would not know how many carbs were in a standard drink though.

I would not be putting lemon in it at the price per bottle, old tawny port is like sipping whisky you drink it neat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jpscloud

Well I'm chasing after that wagon now, eating its dust (and other stuff I shouldn't be eating!)

I've had a weight gain, a fair few pounds, and I'm not feeling as well as I was just over a week ago. My mood is also unhappy and a little depressive and needless to say my sugars are up, though the medication is helping. I will get back to better control when I go back to work, but for the moment it's not happening.

Rational me: For goodness' sake, you know you're feeling **** because you're not eating right and being lazy.
    Irrational me: More chips, please. Is there any ice cream left?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ponchu

I am beginning to believe what some doctors are saying about the brain’s reaction to processed sugars mimicking cocaine or heroin.

I hope depression clears for you within a few days of getting away from sugars.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook