Stereotypical Assumptions about Diabetes

blonagael

I have had some trouble at work with my managers.

On a few occasions when discussing the issue of diabetes at work with managers, the words "what if you collapsed somewhere?", have been used. This seems to be when they are trying to justify that I must ask to be allowed to do a blood test or take food or medication when I'm not on a break.

No one has to ask to go to the toilet in my workplace.

I read that "stereotypical assumptions" can be seen as discrimination. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
blonagael,

Not sure if ''Stereotypical Assumptions'' could be classed as discrimination unless it was said in a hurtful manner with the intention to offend. It may well be that they are just concerned for your welfare and have a limited knowledge about diabetes, try reassuring them and take the time to tell them what they should know and how to help you should you need their assistance.

As for eating, testing and taking meds on the shop floor, well it would be difficult to comment on this without knowing what occupation you are in.

Nigel

alaska

Employers generally need to be explained what diabetes is.

It's worth investing a bit of time to fairly honestly explain your diabetes.

How likely is it that you'll collapse?
Why do you need to blood test?
Why might you find it difficult at times to explain a need to blood test?

It may be advantageous to explain that low blood sugar can affect inhibitions -meaning that emotions can be heightened by hypoglycemia and this is commonly known. I've explained to my workplace that this is the case and provided references for them to check it out should they wish to.

I'd be inclined to give as much info as possible upfront to guard against anything that might happen in future.

I would also be very careful about trying to build up a 'them against me' situation. In my experience it can only lead to friction and stress on both sides which is good for nobody.

In my experience people are mainly awkward through a lack of communication and understanding. Once they know what's going, they tend to be a lot better prepared and nicer.

Hope things turn out well for you blonagael.

Ed

blonagael

Thanks for the answers. If you read my other post "hypo at work", you might get an idea of the situation.

I'm sure it's not a case of someone benevolent who has misunderstood. I can't go into all the details, as I want to remain anonymous if possible. When it all becomes public, I'll provide a link to the outcome. ET

Thanks.