Steroid induced Type 2 Diabetes

Paddie8254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am on prednisolone and have been since November '14. I have reduced from 20mg to 7mg. Diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 in August. Saw consultant September and confirmed the Diabetes. My Hbc1a was 48. I am tired of conflicting information. Do I cut out carbs completely. I am at a slimming club and finding it very very difficult to lose weight, this has been going on 8 years and no one can find anything wrong. I am not on any medication for Diabetes.. Also I haven't an appetite (long time). I do eat but not an awful lot. I would be grateful for any info on this no carb and thanks in advance for any replies.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Paddie8254 and welcome.

I will tag @daisy1 to give you some basic information.

Take your time and read through it and remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Steroids will interfere with your blood sugars. Are you going to be on them long term?

If you do not have a meter then ask your G.P. and if he refuses then we can give you the name of a cheap one that many member here use.
We are all unique and so it varies as to how many carbs members can eat. Some eat very few, maybe 20g and other people can eat 150g with anything in-between being acceptable to others.

You have to find what works for you and a way of eating that you enjoy rather than something you hate doing. You could eat what someone else is successful with and find that you do not get the same results. Your meter is your best friend as it will alert you to suitable foods for you.
Ask as many questions as you feel you need to and remember that we have all been where you are now and questions are how you educate yourself about this condition.

Take care,

CC

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Paddie8254

Hello Paddie and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

S

Sean01

Hi, I am on prednisolone and have been since November '14. I have reduced from 20mg to 7mg. Diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 in August. Saw consultant September and confirmed the Diabetes. My Hbc1a was 48. I am tired of conflicting information. Do I cut out carbs completely. I am at a slimming club and finding it very very difficult to lose weight, this has been going on 8 years and no one can find anything wrong. I am not on any medication for Diabetes.. Also I haven't an appetite (long time). I do eat but not an awful lot. I would be grateful for any info on this no carb and thanks in advance for any replies.
I'm not a doctor, but i am a biology graduate and have a very good understanding of the problems. Also recently diagnosed Type 2 (Oct 2015 and have lost over 80 lbs without starving myself - mind you i was starting from 23 stone - retired weight lifter and body builder.)
fast acting carbs cause a spike in insulin - which as we all know, we want to avoid.
Slow acting carbs still have an effect on insulin production but not to the same effect.
If you are type 2 - try to cut out carbs or cut them right down. (bread, pasta potatoes most fruit etc)
I have not cut out carbs completely. Once a week I have a couple of crumpets as a treat and I might have one small roast potatoe on Sunday. I also eat one or two sweet potatoes a week - but only 1/2 of one medium sized one per day. - oh yes - and one mini yorkshire pudding and maybe a handful of grapes once a week.. - so not 100%.
Diet - green veg, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, pork, beef chicken, eggs. Snacks - cheese and nuts. Black coffee, black tea and water and bacon at the week ends.
I exercise every day - 45 mins walk on a treadmill when I wake up and 15 mins evening walk with the puppy.

One thing jumps out from what you have said: You don't eat an awful lot.
This is how the brain and body work: If you are not eating enough, your body will store what it has and it will reduce its energy expenditure in order for the brain and body to survive as long as possible. Your body doesn't want to loose what it has because it thinks that there isn't enough coming in. It's like being on a desert island. Your brain is telling your body to make it last and to do this, it has to reduce output - hence the sluggishness.
You need to boost your metabolism (which will be good for controlling your blood sugar anyway)
Don't skip meals. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It wakes your body up, gives you energy and gets the metabolism up - like reving a car to warm it up first thing.
Increased metabolism - will lead to increased energy - so use it. Walk. I was on crutches for three years. When I finally came off them, I had to start from scratch. My first walk was less than 100 yards. I increased it bit by bit everyday - until I eventually did the Loch Ness Marathon - twice. (First attempt 17 miles - 2nd attempt - I have my medal. I still can not run. It took me 7 hrs 24 to finish)
Lesson - start small, and increase every single day.
Diet clubs: honestly - my wife has been to so many. She is now bigger than me and I was a light heavyweight body builder. Diet clubs, red days, green days????? Talking, talking talking? Go for a walk instead. Its cheaper and it will clear your head - and that's the last point. Clear head - will help you understand the problem and see clearly how to tackle it. I'm not a doctor, I'm a biologist and I have a degree in understanding how the body works. I am also living proof (now that I have my own head straight.) This wont cure you, but I sincerely hope it helps.

Paddie8254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Paddie8254 and welcome.

I will tag @daisy1 to give you some basic information.

Take your time and read through it and remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Steroids will interfere with your blood sugars. Are you going to be on them long term?

If you do not have a meter then ask your G.P. and if he refuses then we can give you the name of a cheap one that many member here use.
We are all unique and so it varies as to how many carbs members can eat. Some eat very few, maybe 20g and other people can eat 150g with anything in-between being acceptable to others.

You have to find what works for you and a way of eating that you enjoy rather than something you hate doing. You could eat what someone else is successful with and find that you do not get the same results. Your meter is your best friend as it will alert you to suitable foods for you.
Ask as many questions as you feel you need to and remember that we have all been where you are now and questions are how you educate yourself about this condition.

Take care,

CC

Thank you so much. I do have a meter and check BS about 4 days a week before eating. I have been on steroids for 15 months and still a way to go. Also may never be able to get off them completely. I have PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica). Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paddie8254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paddie8254

Hello Paddie and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Thank you so much. Really appreciated.

Paddie8254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a doctor, but i am a biology graduate and have a very good understanding of the problems. Also recently diagnosed Type 2 (Oct 2015 and have lost over 80 lbs without starving myself - mind you i was starting from 23 stone - retired weight lifter and body builder.)
fast acting carbs cause a spike in insulin - which as we all know, we want to avoid.
Slow acting carbs still have an effect on insulin production but not to the same effect.
If you are type 2 - try to cut out carbs or cut them right down. (bread, pasta potatoes most fruit etc)
I have not cut out carbs completely. Once a week I have a couple of crumpets as a treat and I might have one small roast potatoe on Sunday. I also eat one or two sweet potatoes a week - but only 1/2 of one medium sized one per day. - oh yes - and one mini yorkshire pudding and maybe a handful of grapes once a week.. - so not 100%.
Diet - green veg, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, pork, beef chicken, eggs. Snacks - cheese and nuts. Black coffee, black tea and water and bacon at the week ends.
I exercise every day - 45 mins walk on a treadmill when I wake up and 15 mins evening walk with the puppy.

One thing jumps out from what you have said: You don't eat an awful lot.
This is how the brain and body work: If you are not eating enough, your body will store what it has and it will reduce its energy expenditure in order for the brain and body to survive as long as possible. Your body doesn't want to loose what it has because it thinks that there isn't enough coming in. It's like being on a desert island. Your brain is telling your body to make it last and to do this, it has to reduce output - hence the sluggishness.
You need to boost your metabolism (which will be good for controlling your blood sugar anyway)
Don't skip meals. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It wakes your body up, gives you energy and gets the metabolism up - like reving a car to warm it up first thing.
Increased metabolism - will lead to increased energy - so use it. Walk. I was on crutches for three years. When I finally came off them, I had to start from scratch. My first walk was less than 100 yards. I increased it bit by bit everyday - until I eventually did the Loch Ness Marathon - twice. (First attempt 17 miles - 2nd attempt - I have my medal. I still can not run. It took me 7 hrs 24 to finish)
Lesson - start small, and increase every single day.
Diet clubs: honestly - my wife has been to so many. She is now bigger than me and I was a light heavyweight body builder. Diet clubs, red days, green days????? Talking, talking talking? Go for a walk instead. Its cheaper and it will clear your head - and that's the last point. Clear head - will help you understand the problem and see clearly how to tackle it. I'm not a doctor, I'm a biologist and I have a degree in understanding how the body works. I am also living proof (now that I have my own head straight.) This wont cure you, but I sincerely hope it helps.

Thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it but my health is not that simple. I was diagnosed with ME/CFS 15 years ago. Also was diagnosed November '14 with PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica). No energy, brain fog, cannot walk long distance. Shopping Malls - yes with the help of my son - putting groceries in trolley etc., etc.,. Could live with ME but PMR and steroids NASTY. Thanks again. Pat

playgroup

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI, I HAVE BEEN ON STERIODS FOR 34YRS AND CANT COME OFF THEM, I WAS DIAGNOSED A YEAR LAST SEPT HAVE LOST NEARLY 2 STONE BUT STILL CANT KEEP MY SUGAR LEVELS DOWN, 12.4 MORNINGS 16.OO 2 HRS AFTER LUNCH 17.6 AFTER EVENING MEAL, CUT OUT BIS ICE-CREAM CHOCS ETC. I AM ON LINAGLIPTIN AND NORTRIPTYLINE FOR PAINFULL FEET AND LEGS. HAVE FOUND THIS FORUM TO BE VERY USEFUL,READING OTHER PEOPLES VIEWS.