Steroid injection and high BS - type 2

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given a steroid injection into a painful shoulder joint on Tuesday 22nd - my blood sugar level this afternoon was 11.00! I was told that the injection might affect my blood sugar, but I am concerned as to how long these high levels will last.
Has anyone experienced this effect and can give me some advice? My normal reading for the same time of day is between 5 and 6.
Many thanks for any advice.

D

Deleted Account

I had a steroid injection a few years back and found it affected my BG for nearly a week.
As I treat my diabetes with insulin, this meant I increased my insulin significantly to try to control it.

If you are worrying about your shoulder and your high BG, this will raise your BG higher.

Try to relax and your BG should come down over the next few days.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A546B7B2-8887-4845-924B-A49228E9C40B.jpeg
I was given a steroid injection into a painful shoulder joint on Tuesday 22nd - my blood sugar level this afternoon was 11.00! I was told that the injection might affect my blood sugar, but I am concerned as to how long these high levels will last.
Has anyone experienced this effect and can give me some advice? My normal reading for the same time of day is between 5 and 6.
Many thanks for any advice.

I had a steroid injection into one foot on 22nd Dec, whilst having surgery on the other foot. My graph of my average blood sugars for each day clearly shows a daily average of 7.9, higher than normal, the highest reading that day was 10.2! As you can see they did settle down quite quickly.

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a steroid injection a few years back and found it affected my BG for nearly a week.
As I treat my diabetes with insulin, this meant I increased my insulin significantly to try to control it.

If you are worrying about your shoulder and your high BG, this will raise your BG higher.

Try to relax and your BG should come down over the next few days.
Thanks Helen - it is a relief to learn things should go back to normal before too long!

Reactions: Kim Possible

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to confirm that this was my experience too. I think someone should have mentioned this is a side-effect experienced by diabetics before they decided on the injectio for you. I was warned in advance by my GP and then by a hopital clinic. For me, the raised blood sugar readings last about 2 and a half days.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My bg took about ten days to normalise after spinal jabs.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had 2 in my lower back several years ago. Yep, they jacked up my blood sugar for a few days. Not as horribly as I expected but it had an effect. And they didn't do jack for my back pain either (it went away). My dad's had a bunch of those epidural shots and said they didn't do any good. I didn't ask him why he kept having them, but he's had like 3 back surgeries and some back surgeons won't operate until you're failed 3 epidural shots. I think they get a kickback from the anesthesiologist!