Steroid Injection

DavidE54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. Can someone shed any light on what is happening to my BS levels. I am pre-diabetic - fasting BG is usually between 5.8 & 6.3 and occasionally up to 6.7 and 3 hr after evening meals is between 6.5 & 7.5 and very rarely up to 8.2.
I have recently had a steroid injection into my hip to try and solve a problem with my hip. The day after it my fasting BG shot up to 8.9 and 3 hr after a meal to 11.2 !!! Alarming to say the least. What is just as interesting is now, 8 days after the injection, my fasting BG is way down and not been above 6.1 in the last few days, and my 3 hr BG 5.6 to 7.1.
I am not aware of having made any other changes and am left wondering if the steroid has improved my pre-diabetes or if this is purely co-incidental.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Steroids are known to raise bg levels. The ensuing pleasant levels you are now seeing may be due to the fact that you are in less pain and/or less stressed. Enjoy!

Reactions: Rachox

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on steroids in some shape or form for some time. They do send your BG levels sky high for a while. The steroids certainly helped me in terms of pain relief. The effects on BG for me lasted for between 2 to 4 weeks

I hope you feel some benefit from them

DavidE54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. Can someone shed any light on what is happening to my BS levels. I am pre-diabetic - fasting BG is usually between 5.8 & 6.3 and occasionally up to 6.7 and 3 hr after evening meals is between 6.5 & 7.5 and very rarely up to 8.2.
I have recently had a steroid injection into my hip to try and solve a problem with my hip. The day after it my fasting BG shot up to 8.9 and 3 hr after a meal to 11.2 !!! Alarming to say the least. What is just as interesting is now, 8 days after the injection, my fasting BG is way down and not been above 6.1 in the last few days, and my 3 hr BG 5.6 to 7.1.
I am not aware of having made any other changes and am left wondering if the steroid has improved my pre-diabetes or if this is purely co-incidental.
Hi
Thank you for the very informative reply. I never realised pain or stress raised BG levels. I'll hope my low BG levels stay low.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi
Thank you for the very informative reply. I never realised pain or stress raised BG levels. I'll hope my low BG levels stay low.

Not only pain and stress but poor sleep, infection and non Diabetes related medications can affect blood glucose levels as well as the obvious foods we eat. Well done on your lowered bg levels btw.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I have just returned home from the hospital and my first steroid injection into my spine. I was told to expect a rise in bs levels for the next few days. My levels rose from 7.2 at home to 11.3 at the hospital before my injection, presumably due to anxiety/ adrenalin and dropped back down to 7.6 an hour after the injection when I was calmer and in no pain, just numbness! Enjoy your lower numbers and long may they continue.