STEROIDS AND DIABETES

JUSTING

hi i'm new to the web site and just had a few questions and would like to see if anyone can suggest anything new

i am 33 years old and have been asthmatic since birth, and have been on large doses of pregnisalone, with daily doses upto 100mg at some points. My maintance dose is 20mg and i have never been of them. I also take arround another 15 drugs, i wont list as too many lol!

I was told i was diabetic in july 2000, and was put on glicaside and metformin sr, they doctors say it is because of the steroids i became diabetic, it has also caused my to have cardiomyopathy,

dose anyone have any suggetsions what i can do as my BM's are always between 13-29. The doctors is suggesting insulin, but im not to happy with that as i have a needle phyobia.

Any suggestions and help woould be much appricated

thanks

justin

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Justin.can you give us some idea of what you eat on an average day?

jallsop

JUSTING said:
hi i'm new to the web site and just had a few questions and would like to see if anyone can suggest anything new

i am 33 years old and have been asthmatic since birth, and have been on large doses of pregnisalone, with daily doses upto 100mg at some points. My maintance dose is 20mg and i have never been of them. I also take arround another 15 drugs, i wont list as too many lol!

I was told i was diabetic in july 2000, and was put on glicaside and metformin sr, they doctors say it is because of the steroids i became diabetic, it has also caused my to have cardiomyopathy,

dose anyone have any suggetsions what i can do as my BM's are always between 13-29. The doctors is suggesting insulin, but im not to happy with that as i have a needle phyobia.

Any suggestions and help woould be much appricated

thanks

justin

Hi Justin

I, too, became diabetic following large doses of steroids which I had for an inflammatory bowel disease. I had terrible trouble getting my BMs under control as I was also on an immuno-suppressant drug (Cyclosporin) for a skin condition. That also has a marked effect on surgar levels. Like you, I take a multitude of other drugs for various conditions. I was never tried on Metformin or such like - went straight to insulin on diagnosis. I was no fan of needles although I didn't have an actual phobia. I understand how distressing that can be as my niece has a terrible needle phobia. However, if you test your blood sugars regularly with a blood monitor I can promise you that insulin injections are no more "painful" - in fact, I feel insulin injections less than when I test on my fingers.

However, I am sure someone here will suggest dietary changes such as moving to lo-carb diet. Sadly, this is not an option for me as I have absorbtion problems following the removal of my large bowel so pasta, rice and potatoes are the only way I have of slowing digestion through my body in the hope that I can absorb as many nutrients etc. from my other food as possible. A real juggling act.

Good luck.

Jackie