Steroids

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm due to take I think about 125ml of IV steroids soon due to MS treatment and I know this will increase my BG, but wondering how high it will go and how long for? I'll have another dose 2 weeks later and then nothing for 6 months. Anyone able to advise on this?

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read about your problems.
Unfortunately, steroids affect us all differently and different steroids affect the same person differently so you will probably have to play it by ear with extra testing and correcting.

I had steroids injected into my hand a few years ago, found they increased by BG and I needed to increase my basal by 50% for about 2 weeks.
But you will probably have different steroids at a different strength so I would not take this as indicative of what will happen with your BG.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm super sensitive to even a small dose for about 3 to 4 days. But I know others haven't been nearly as bad and have just increased their basal 25-50%. I think it can really vary person to person.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for your replies. I'm trying to eliminate this from the treatment but I may have to persevere...