Stevia sweetener...

Nat90

Hey guys

Do you use Stevia as a sweetener or do you have any experience with it?
I've read few articles about it that said using Stevia is more healthy than using aspartame, but then i found out it's banned in few countries (in Europe as well). I was just wondering if anyone knows more about it.

Thank you :)
Nat

dib

Yes I use it but we can't discuss it on this forum. I really like it. you can grow it as a herb quite readily.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
dib said:
Yes I use it but we can't discuss it on this forum. I really like it. you can grow it as a herb quite readily.

Actually you can talk about it all you want. You just need to know it's importation and sale in this country (UK) is banned at present. You can buty the plants from Sutton's but they add a caveat that its not approved.for food use.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
dib said:
Why were previous posts about it pulled?

Forum Ethos and Policy changes over time as with many things. The Forum evolves over time and is never averse to change. .

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So - does anyone know if you can buy Stevia Drops on t'interweb and have 'em delivered to your home?

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
ebay - the 'green' stevia is said to be healthier. Or grow your own. It can taste quite bitter if it isn't pure.

Cheers
Ailz

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems that the EU may be about to approve it so it may be on sale in the UK soon.
As I wrote in the last post on the subject you can buy it here. France jumped the gun in allowing it's sale.
To be honest I have very mixed feelings about it. It's another option for people to use as a sweetner but the big manufacturers have become involved in it's production and promotion. What I can buy in the supermarket seems a very refined product.
It's marketed here under the name Pure Via made by the 'Whole Earth Sweetner company'
Packaging emphasises natural and purety..
BUT
Ingredients: maltodextrin, contains 2,2% extract of stevia, Rebaudioside A, natural flavouring. The box also carries the same warning as other sweetners ie: excessive consumption may have a laxative effect.
Who makes PureVia ?
from wiki
PepsiCo and Pure Circle announced PureVia, their brand of stevia-based sweetener, ,
and from elsewhere
'Whole Earth Sweetener Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Merisant Company, the maker of Equal® and Canderel® and a global leader in the manufacture, marketing and distribution of tabletop sweeteners with sales in over 90 countries'
I did buy a box, but it remains unopened It's a powdered product like all the other sweetners and I've never found a use for it :lol:

When (if) it becomes available In the UK, you will also be able to buy Truvia made by Cargill .They have already linked up with SIlver Spoon.
'Cargill and The Coca-Cola Company have worked in collaboration to develop the ingredient called rebiana. Rebiana will be marketed under the brand name Truvia™. While the trademark is jointly owned, Cargill owns and operates the Truvia™ tabletop sweetener business as well as the Truvia™ ingredient
'

dib

There are online sellers on the channel islands who can supply Swanson's liquid and powdered Stevia. But don't say I said so!

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
The 'new' adulterated Stevias are why I was recommended to buy green stevia. It looks a bit funny put this green 'dust' in drinks and cakes but it comes from the leaf of the stevia plant and tastes okay

Cheers
Ailz