Still drinking Cola drinks? Not such a good idea...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand - this pretty much confirms your experience if Colas were your soft drink of choice.

Chronic intake of 4-Methylimidazole induces Hyperinsulinemia and Hypoglycaemia via Pancreatic Beta Cell Hyperplasia and Glucose Dyshomeostasis

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-35071-6.epdf?

Mouse study - but mechanism seems translatable to humans.

Caramel colours are the preferential food colouring agent globally, reaches wide age groups through
eatables. Colas, a sweetened carbonated drink are most common caramel coloured beverage and its
consumption is linked with diabetes, obesity, pancreatic cancer and other endocrine disorders. A major
by-product produced during caramelization is 4-methylimidazole (4-MEI) that is detected in noteworthy
concentrations in colas and other beverages. Previous studies revealed the neurotoxic and carcinogenic
potential of 4-MEI in animals at higher doses but the effect of 4-MEI at theoretical maximum daily intake
dose on glucose homeostasis is unexplored. Here, mice treated with 4-MEI (32μg/kg bodyweight/day)
for seven weeks exhibited severe hypoglycaemia and hyperinsulinemia mediated by hyperplasia of
pancreatic beta cells and induces metabolic alterations. On combinatorial treatment, 4-MEI suppressed
the glucogenic potential of non-artificial sweeteners and promotes lipogenesis. Furthermore, increased
levels of C-peptide, LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides were observed in the humans with regular intake
of 4-MEI containing beverages. In summary, 4-MEI induced pancreatic beta cell hyperplasia and leads
to disruption of glucose and lipid homeostasis. This study suggests the need for further assessment and
reconsideration of the wide usage of 4-MEI containing caramels as food additives.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Indy51, A fascinating article. A pity that the stimulation of beta cells is severe.
Maybe a modified chemical could produce a controlled stimulation without carcinogenesis and hyperinsulinaemia!!
Meantime another mark against cola and caramel.
Do we push for a cola and caramel tax (and artificial sweetener tax, while we are at it) in addition to the sugar tax?
However such taxes go to Government coffers (to what purpose)? , probably do little to change people's habits and Big Food does not seem to be crying poor anytime soon!?
PS What if sugar used for soft drinks was used instead to make ethanol and then used to power vehicular transport. Just imagine the captain of an airline flight welcoming passengers with the fact that today's flight is being powered by now defunct soft drink constituents equivalent to 30 cases of X brand.
Carmel and cola might clog engines so a different diversionary use needs to be considered there!!

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Looks like I dodged another bullet, I've never been a lover of pop whether artificially sweetened or sugary.
Having said that, I used aspartame based sweetener in tea for 20 years... when I discovered that aspartame, through many mechanistic changes by the liver, ended up as formaldahyde I joked that my liver would survive decades after the rest of me had died. This is why I have no trust in artificial sweeteners or the new generation so called natural sweeteners. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

D

Deleted member 308541

Thank you @Indy51. :) Yes I did drink colas. I found out years ago that the black fizzy drinks were the worst but I never knew why.
Errr! Was it the rum in the coke by any chance. :D

Talking of rum, there is a unmarked tanker truck full of Bundaberg rum that goes to the Coca Cola factory in NSW every week for their rum and coke.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

Talking of rum, there is a unmarked tanker truck full of Bundaberg rum that goes to the Coca Cola factory in NSW every week for their rum and coke.
Whose rum and coke ?
Thank you @Indy51. :) Yes I did drink colas. I found out years ago that the black fizzy drinks were the worst but I never knew why.
The caffeine might be another nasty in the mix, as far as addictiveness goes, anyway !!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could we get back to the the OP, please? This is the stuff we see given to children, there is a time and a place for levity.

D

Deleted member 308541

Could we get back to the the OP, please? This is the stuff we see given to children, there is a time and a place for levity.
It "is" a cola drink, both of which are made out of sugar and molasses which is a by product of sugar so is not off topic.

It is one of the drinks of choice for kids around Australia.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It "is" a cola drink, both of which are made out of sugar and molasses which is a by product of sugar so is not off topic.

It is one of the drinks of choice for kids around Australia.

Rum and children don't mix. Pop on the other hand... I have seen Mums putting pop into babies bottles, rum not so much.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hummm. I was a total pop addict before my July 2018 diabetes diagnosis. I don't drink coffee or tea. I switched to diet cherry Pepsi after diagnosis to get my pop and caffeine fix. I guess I should just get off the stuff completely. The only other thing I drink is water.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hummm. I was a total pop addict before my July 2018 diabetes diagnosis. I don't drink coffee or tea. I switched to diet cherry Pepsi after diagnosis to get my pop and caffeine fix. I guess I should just get off the stuff completely. The only other thing I drink is water.
Could you start by changing to non-cola beverage till you can wean yourself off completely?

Reactions: neithskye

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you start by changing to non-cola beverage till you can wean yourself off completely?
That's what I did. Then I switched to sparkling mineral water. This was thanks to advice purchased from one of those so called 'scam' US websites which keeps saying 'are you sure you want to leave the page' The pack I got said that the dark fizzy drinks were the worst and that diet drinks were worse for the metabolism than sugary ones. Not such a scam then! True I could have got the advice for free but 11 years ago I didn't know where to look and I had never seen this type of info before even when I did look. I turned to them as I knew that mainstream advice just wasn't working for me, my body was broken thanks to mainstream advice. It was from that pack that I learned that although trans fats etc were bad, butter was my friend. Bye bye St Ivel Gold and co! I am just so glad I wasn't diabetic then (although I was already IR and had T2 tummy lol) because if I had been I would have turned to DUK and would now be drinking fruit juice thinking that was a good thing because it's made by Britvic :rolleyes:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Oh my word....hijack it before it gets there. Bundy and coke is my mostest favorite drink ever :). I jhave ordered a Bundy OP for xmas, should be here next week.....lets hope it lasts until xmas lol

D

Deleted member 308541

Oh my word....hijack it before it gets there. Bundy and coke is my mostest favorite drink ever :). I jhave ordered a Bundy OP for xmas, should be here next week.....lets hope it lasts until xmas lol
From where I live it is about five klms. from the Bundy rum distillery, and the bond store. There is plenty o great top shelf rums that only sold there.

This is not OP but a selected blend from there.

nIuJYHp.png

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To get back to the original post, a Bunderberg rum and coke has a double helping of caramel (E150) as that is presumably the colouring in both drinks.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t drink pop and thankfully neither do my kids and grandchildren. The youngest three (a 4 year old and two 18 month old twins) have only had water so far. I guess that may change when they go to school.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whose rum and coke ?

The caffeine might be another nasty in the mix, as far as addictiveness goes, anyway !!
There was originally cocaine added to the recipe for coke, but it had to go when it was rumbled. The ingredients are and remain a closely guarded secret.