Still floundering and fed up!!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What did you eat and did you do any exercise. That isn't too bad either should be easy to work on

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK that makes sense. So you now know that a jacket potato takes you up so you need to eat a little less next time or walk twenty minutes at about an hour. This is always good no matter what

K

koukla

I'll do the walking because I've still got 432 calories to eat today but I won't be eating them. I'll just go upstairs on the treadmill now. Thank you for that advice :)

K

koukla

May I say a big thank you to all who have helped me in different ways today. This morning I was in the depths of despair and very tearful. I also apologise for posting in the wrong place. However, after all the help, including the App, I feel so much better. I can face tomorrow now but I couldn't this morning. You are all very kind. Thank you.

K

koukla

May I say a big thank you to all who have helped me in different ways today. This morning I was in the depths of despair and very tearful. I also apologise for posting in the wrong place. However, after all the help, including the App, I feel so much better. I can face tomorrow now but I couldn't this morning. You are all very kind. Thank you.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi there!
Just thought I'd tell you what I eat......
Every morning: 2 sausages and 1 poached egg. Sometimes with fried mushrooms and tomatoes.
Lunch: think tapas
Snack: cheese or nuts
Evening meal: fish/meat and loads of veggies cooked in butter.
2 squares of 70% dark choccie and a cup of coffee.
I have dessert once or twice a week. (Low carb high fat)
I have posted several of my recipes under Scandis recipes.
I eat something which is counter intuitive. Low carb high fat. On the basis that fat can be used as an alternative source of energy which doesn't raise my bs. I do not eat rice, pasta, bread or potatoes. Www.dietdoctor.com will explain the science.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for that. It sounds lush and would help me make up my calorie and nutrition deficit. It's amazing.

When I first came on here I was in a flat panic about what to eat so I sympathise. I've lost loads of weight following LCHF - 2 stone 4lbs to date! Since 28 jan. It was a member here who took me under her wing for which I'm eternally grateful! So if I can help someone else then I will! :)

K

koukla

Thank you. I really am so grateful. I've lost a lot too but not eating like that. It's amazing. Are your blood glucose levels good with that diet too?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a salad with half a jacket potato but I didn't exercise

Baked potato makes me rise a bit, so I have to think hard about having it, or have a smaller potato. Did you have butter or cheese with your spud? That can help a bit, as fat helps soften the spikes, although that's almost finessing it. Andrew is right about exercise though. It really makes a difference.

But, you need to eat. And you need to test when you do. You will have disappointments, when something you really like creates a ginormous spike, but you will also have pleasant surprises, when something is unexpectedly fine. If it was simple to identify how we would all react to certain foods, we would tell you.

So, plan yourself some meals, record what you actually eat in your app, and steel yourself for some testing. You'll get there. I think we've all had days like you had today, but it does get easier. Just keep asking questions.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Scandi, I eat a low carb, highish fat diet, and I feel much better for it.

Something you really must do if you are on a low carb diet, is eat plenty of fatty stuff (e.g. oily fish, chicken with skin on, butter,olive oil, Greek yoghurt, cheese, cream, nuts, etc). This fat replaces the carbohydrates that you've cut down on as your energy source, so it's essential that you do eat enough of it. Hopefully when you get the balance right it will also make you feel better too!

Don't be too despondent about the odd high readings, look at your ongoing trend and if it's mainly lower, you're on the right track. Thinking positive helps, as stress (and illness) can affect your glucose levels too. I started off doing nicely then had problems which really upset my apple cart and my meter results have been all over the place and much higher than when I began, and they are only just starting to level off again now after three months, much to my great relief! I've just had to grit my teeth and weather the storm - it's not always easy.

Robbity

PS If you enjoy fruit, then you should hopefully be able to eat berries in moderation - I can (usually) eat blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries in moderation, and the odd kiwi fruit and half apple - all of them with thick cream, yohgurt, or a whip made with part cream and part cream cheese. I also make a crumble for cooked apple and blackberries, using ground almonds butter, and a little stevia sweetener to taste.

Reactions: 2 people

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that most with LADA, that is late onset autoimmune diabetes will have to on insulin a lot sooner than type twos. But I can´t say I really know this. I myself manage well on LCHF so far but it has only been some months since diagnosis. My GP thinks I am type 2 as the antibodies test came back negative.

This is correct, I have multiple auto immune conditions LADA was the latest one diagnosed in Feb 2011. I was immediately given insulin and metformin as managing by diet alone was no longer working, although I had been warned it would happen eventually.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you. I really am so grateful. I've lost a lot too but not eating like that. It's amazing. Are your blood glucose levels good with that diet too?

Fasting bs is between 6-6.8
Gradually goes down throughout day and by lunchtime about 5.5. Sits there until evening and then back to 6-6.5. Am due to get cholesterol done next hba1c which is at end of June. My doc thinks diet, weight, bs and bp all interlinked. Not sure what next hba1c will be because had bad cold then chest infection which made my bs rise and had to have antibiotics :( will be happy if I lose another 2 stone 11lbs but ought to lose 3 stone 11lbs to get to ideal weight. LCHF is not for everyone and there are some members who can't get on with it. I love it as I have more choice and have lost weight. My non diabetic hubbie also follows it and has lost 2 stone and 1lb . I find it easy to follow and hassle free. Don't need to weigh anything.

K

koukla

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I'm reading, listening (in fact I've been listening during the night as messages came in, can't seem to log out) and taking it all in. I will definitely check if my diabetes is autoimmune and the thought of being able to eat chicken with the skin on fills me with joy! I didn't manage to eat my 1200 calories yesterday. I had 432 left but must try harder today as I think my weight loss of 3 lbs per week is too much. I woke to a 6.1 this morning which I didn't think is too bad but I know what the Desmond people would say. It would be a very depressing...."Oh no. Now that's not good, it should be more like 4." It isn't 4 so it's a bit of hard luck to Desmond because I'm doing my best so what more is there? Thank you everyone. I bet I'm back with more questions and that bothers me somewhat because I don't want to become a thorn in the side, if I'm not already!!!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I'm reading, listening (in fact I've been listening during the night as messages came in, can't seem to log out) and taking it all in. I will definitely check if my diabetes is autoimmune and the thought of being able to eat chicken with the skin on fills me with joy! I didn't manage to eat my 1200 calories yesterday. I had 432 left but must try harder today as I think my weight loss of 3 lbs per week is too much. I woke to a 6.1 this morning which I didn't think is too bad but I know what the Desmond people would say. It would be a very depressing...."Oh no. Now that's not good, it should be more like 4." It isn't 4 so it's a bit of hard luck to Desmond because I'm doing my best so what more is there? Thank you everyone. I bet I'm back with more questions and that bothers me somewhat because I don't want to become a thorn in the side, if I'm not already!!!

That's the point of the forum. To make new friends and find stuff out! Post way! :)

K

koukla

Thank you. I hope I post in the correct place next time though. That was the only negative out of so many positives yesterday, that I should get a telling off for posting in the wrong place. So many people have been very kind and giving of their advice that they lifted my spirits yesterday. All I can say is please bear with me. I have been unlucky enough to have had a Stroke last May and I do my best. :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you. I hope I post in the correct place next time though. That was the only negative out of so many positives yesterday, that I should get a telling off for posting in the wrong place. So many people have been very kind and giving of their advice that they lifted my spirits yesterday. All I can say is please bear with me. I have been unlucky enough to have had a Stroke last May and I do my best. :)

Don't think it's that important. People choose what thread they want to read. Wouldn't worry. Great to meet you!