still hungry on low carb diet

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
American nutrition labels include fibre with the carbs (so the fibre has to be subtracted to give the carb figure)
British nutrition labels list the fibre elsewhere on the label (so the carb figure is all carb, and the fibre doesn't need to be deducted)

Hope that helps! :)

Oops, our posts coincided, @SWUSA_
Wait, so I got it backwards? (I eat to my meter though so as long as my meter likes it, I do too.)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ok I need to research this , I don't know how to read labels or convert grams to carbs its like talking Chinese to me lolol

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Can you try raisins and fill fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast perhaps with a few almonds?
Raisins really give me a high blood sugar spike, grapes do too, but full fat yogurt is always good. Raspberries might be better for fruit.

Reactions: dbr10

Greenandgold

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
ok I need to research this , I don't know how to read labels or convert grams to carbs its like talking Chinese to me lolol

Download the My Fitness Pal app, it does it all for you, I was the same when I started, and always avoided cutting carbs as it seemed too complicated.
Honest it's really not hard after a while using the app, I cannot count to save my life so My fitness Pal is a God send.

Reactions: foxy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When eating low carb I am very rarely hungry. I eat two meals a day, usually the first is salad with any protein source - tuna, cheese eggs meat, sometimes kippers, and the second one is the same protein source as I give my husband with either a small serving of the same veges or a larger serving of something low carb. In between I have a coffee and perhaps a snack of a few nuts or maybe celery and cheese, but not every day and not many carbs. I am deliberately eating lower carb than I would usually as I feel I need to empty out all the reserves to push my metabolism towards something more normal, and also get rid of some weight. I tend to restrict my carb containing foods to 10 percent net carbs or less, even if I am eating more carbs in a day, I just eat more of them. Saying that I have not been hungry since diagnosis - dizzy due to dropping blood glucose levels, but never hungry. There is always something you can eat when low carbing.

Cookie 81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
American nutrition labels include fibre with the carbs (so the fibre has to be subtracted to give the carb figure)
British nutrition labels list the fibre elsewhere on the label (so the carb figure is all carb, and the fibre doesn't need to be deducted)

Hope that helps! :)

Oops, our posts coincided, @SWUSA_
Oh wow... well that helps loads, thanks so much

Reactions: ickihun

foxy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was about to refer you to MFP as it's a site that I have been using for a long time now and it's very helpful. Once you put your food on there you will be surprised at how many carbohydrates you are consuming.
Like any forum it will take a little while to get used to it but if you persevere you will reap the benefit of being able to plan your meals successfully.

If you look at my signature on here you'll see my daily goals.

Reactions: Greenandgold

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
www.calorieking.com is a great site to look up macros but it doesn't track meals like MFP but faster to use if you weigh food to see how many carbs, protein or fat is in them.

Fat is satisfying and stops hunger. HOWEVER if you're still eating carbs fat + carbs equals weight gain. Fat in the absense of carbs does not make us fat

Avocado, olive oil, olives, nuts and seeds are great sources of fat. Some find no issue with dairy, cheese, cream etc but saturated fats such as those raise my bs and cholesterol. They also make me very insulin resistant.

Avocado with all its fat and fiber is very filling and kind to blood sugar. I eat it for bf everyday to keep my bs low for the rest of the day.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The atkins website gives lists of suitable low carb foods and also lists of foods to not eat. Just don't buy any of the products they sell on the site as they are garbage.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The low carb programme on this website is great and gives lots of advice. The carbs you want to cut back on are the starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice, porridge, breakfast cereals etc. A bowl of porridge sends my levels through the roof even though it's low GI. If you're hungry increase fat content. You might want to ask your diabetic team to refer you to a diabetic dietician as well. I'm still struggling to get my head round the low carbs as well but take it one day at a time and post on here for support.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump on this post but am i right in thinking you take total carbs and minus fibre to get what 'countable carbs' are for your daily carb count? Obviously when doing carb counting for what insulin you need to cover your meal you work out from total carbs! Or have I got that totally wrong (still learning after 13year ) any advice appreciated.

If you're in the USA, they appear to consider fibre to be a carbohydrate, this gets deducted to give "net carbs". In the UK total carbs is the figure we need to heed, as fibre is treated and listed separately, so not counted. US net carbs = UK total carbs. Check the full nutritional labelling on the packaging, and be careful if you check online for info as you'll need to distinguish between US and UK data. It had me totally flummoxed at first as I was regularly seeing completely different figures for the same type of food.

Robbity

Reactions: Cookie 81

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you're in the UK you look at the full nutritional labelling and not the "traffic lights" bumf on the front of the packaging. Total carbs is the figure you want, and what you do need to discover is the number of carbs in the weight of the actual portions of foods you're going to eat. You can then work out from the number of carbs per 100g weight how many carbs you'll be eating, so:
  • 25g carbs per 100g weight given on the nutritional labelling = 0.25g carbs per one gram weight
  • for a portion of 50g weight that's 0.25x50 (or 25/2)= 12.5g carbs
  • for a portion of 80g weight that's 0.25x80 = 20g carbs
  • for a portion of 140g weight that's 0.25x140 = 35g carbs
And so on... I use my (PC's) calculator when/if I need to check, but in general for many of us around 10g carbs or less per 100g weight is a good rough guide to suitable foods, and can save on the maths. But you may prefer to start with a slightly higher carbs per 100g value.

After a while, you should get to know roughly how many you're eating, and that's often quite accurate enough as nature and food in general will never be absolutely precise, and the nutritional information we're provided with will be based on a series of average product tests.

Robbity

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing to do with labels is to avoid them, only processed food is labelled. Just buy real natural recognisable food, cook it and eat it, keep it simple.

Breakfasts, any simple omelette with meat, cheese, or veg (or all of the above).

Lunch. Any sort of protein (meat, fish, cheese, with a green salad and a tomato, as much full fat mayo or oil and vinegar as you like.

Dinner. Any sort of protein with as much above ground leafy veg as you like, big knob of butter on vegetables.

Drinks, water, black tea, black coffee. You can have double cream (heavy cream in US)

There you are, that simple formula will give you a very low carb diet for a week or two while you get your head around the complexities. If you drink alcohol, stick to dry wine or spirit and water or slimline mixers.

Reactions: AnnJohnston

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@sandysan

As you have been a member of this forum for some years I think you may have seen this basic information already which we give to new members so this is just to refresh your memory about low carb diets and I hope it will be useful. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will always be there to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with AtkinsMo forget trying to work out the carbs just eat the healthy stuff as above and try to cut out or lower the most starchy foods like bread pasta rice and potatoes and of course no sugar stuff that will help lower your glucose levels no end without trying to work out the carbs in foods

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Start by eating food which is not a carb as carbs creep in anyway.
No potato, no rice, no crackers, no bread.
No processed meals or takeouts until you become more experienced with carb counting. For now.
Start slowly and see how you get on. :)

Reactions: AnnJohnston