Still trying to get my head around all this

Anthia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I was diagnosed just over a week ago though was waiting and aware for a couple of weeks before that because my GP receptionist told me!!

Anyway, so am trying hard to drop carbs, I am aiming for below 100g a day and not finding that too bad, lots of omelettes and veg to fill up for breakfast / brunch and allowing some carbs for dinner.

My blood glucose machine arrived today, I ate at around 10:30 for brunch (omelette with peppers, mushrooms, onion, spinach and cheese and no added sugar baked beans) I am not overly hungry and have fed the 5000 that is my family. I thought I would check my BG before eating, it was 6.3 which seems quite high before eating. I have salad with a fishcake (34g carbs). Should I lay off the carbs or am I expecting too much?

I really want to get on top of this and have a lower reading in November when I go back for my blood tests. Not helped that my son has left a pack of minstrels in the fridge which are calling to me LOL

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, ignore the minstrels. :D. That’s what I have to do. My wife and daughter chomp away on chocolate, cake, sweets etc and I just have to ignore it.

I can remember asking my GP if it was okay to raid the kids sweets jar occasionally and he said no. :D

Anthia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, ignore the minstrels. :D. That’s what I have to do. My wife and daughter chomp away on chocolate, cake, sweets etc and I just have to ignore it.

I can remember asking my GP if it was okay to raid the kids sweets jar occasionally and he said no. :D

I shall avoid the minstrels, it is hard with lots of people in the house who can all eat whatever they like. I don't think me snacking on the almonds makes them as jealous LOL

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall avoid the minstrels, it is hard with lots of people in the house who can all eat whatever they like. I don't think me snacking on the almonds makes them as jealous LOL
Yes, I snack on walnuts and Brie and the like.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I was hungry so had ham with a variety of cheeses, it was scrumptious and filling.
That’s the sort of thing I do. I also enjoy Greek yoghourt with double cream and raspberries or strawberries.

Anthia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That’s the sort of thing I do. I also enjoy Greek yoghourt with double cream and raspberries or strawberries.

That sounds good, I am not convinced the berries would stay in the fridge for when I want them though, my children love berries and my husband would also steal them. I need new hiding places!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I would check my BG before eating, it was 6.3 which seems quite high before eating. I have salad with a fishcake (34g carbs). Should I lay off the carbs or am I expecting too much?

6.3 isn't a bad reading when newly diagnosed. Do you have any idea what your HbA1c reading was?
The fishcake sounds a bit carby maybe next time some fish would be a better choice?
As for berries stick them in the freezer and have them with some double cream poured over. Home made ice cream without the sugar!

Anthia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
6.3 isn't a bad reading when newly diagnosed. Do you have any idea what your HbA1c reading was?
The fishcake sounds a bit carby maybe next time some fish would be a better choice?
As for berries stick them in the freezer and have them with some double cream poured over. Home made ice cream without the sugar!

My HbA1c reading was 7.5 % 58 mmol/mol

Rats, I thought the fishcake was ok, I will know for future reference. The berries in the freezer sounds perfect thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c reading was 7.5 % 58 mmol/mol

Rats, I thought the fishcake was ok, I will know for future reference. The berries in the freezer sounds perfect thank you.
No worries.. I tend to have very few carbs so 34g in one thing would be way out of my "allowance". And I'd rather have a piece of fish or meat "au naturel".
I may be considered a bit extreme but... it has worked pretty well so far for me.

Anthia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No worries.. I tend to have very few carbs so 34g in one thing would be way out of my "allowance". And I'd rather have a piece of fish or meat "au naturel".
I may be considered a bit extreme but... it has worked pretty well so far for me.

I was thinking I am keeping under the 100g a day but I guess in one meal that is quite a bit. I shall see what my BG level is after eating!!

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking I am keeping under the 100g a day but I guess in one meal that is quite a bit. I shall see what my BG level is after eating!!
Might be an idea to keep a food diary for a week just to see exactly what you are taking in. Be honest!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Tell them to take it to their room and out of sight!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood glucose machine arrived today, I ate at around 10:30 for brunch (omelette with peppers, mushrooms, onion, spinach and cheese and no added sugar baked beans) I am not overly hungry and have fed the 5000 that is my family. I thought I would check my BG before eating, it was 6.3 which seems quite high before eating. I have salad with a fishcake (34g carbs). Should I lay off the carbs or am I expecting too much?
Only 2 tests don't tell you a lot. Why not test right before eating and some 2 hours after first bite to see how your body handled that particular meal? You can then use that information for your next meal.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

100g carbs spread through 3 meals and a snack is a nice steady trickle.

Most of 100g carbs in one sitting is probably going to send your bg quite a bit higher than you want.
Try it and see. Carb portion size is amazingly important.

If you are rationing yourself to just 2 tests a day, it will take a long while to spot the patterns.
Are you self funding? If you are, I would be tempted to test intensively over a single day, then not test for a few days.

Or switch to a cheaper meter, and get 50 tests for around £7

My ideal learning the ropes testing regime would be on waking, before brekkie, 2hrs after, before lunch, 2 hrs after, before supper, 2 hrs after, at bedtime.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Anthia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome!

100g carbs spread through 3 meals and a snack is a nice steady trickle.

Most of 100g carbs in one sitting is probably going to send your bg quite a bit higher than you want.
Try it and see. Carb portion size is amazingly important.

If you are rationing yourself to just 2 tests a day, it will take a long while to spot the patterns.
Are you self funding? If you are, I would be tempted to test intensively over a single day, then not test for a few days.

Or switch to a cheaper meter, and get 50 tests for around £7

My ideal learning the ropes testing regime would be on waking, before brekkie, 2hrs after, before lunch, 2 hrs after, before supper, 2 hrs after, at bedtime.

Hi, thank you,

I have only done 2 tests because I only got my meter today. I am self funding but I will test when needed. I haven’t waited 2 hours after food because I need to go to bed, I am on call from 02:00 so need to get some rest, testing about half hour after dinner was 8.6 so not horrendous, I will space meals better tomorrow. I will also try to spread out my carbs. As I am in work early I plan on having some burgen bread toasted with peanut butter for breakfast, ham and cheese for lunch and I will see what I have for dinner. I hope to test for the next few days to give myself an idea of where I am with all of this.

Reactions: JMK1954

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I aim for an “allowance” of 100 to 130 grams a day. However I find that it can be less than 100grams, quite often. I try to avoid large amounts of carbs in one go so all the higher carb foods are out and that gives me leeway to have some fruit such as an apple, a slice or two of low carb bread and a glass of full fat milk during the day, along with zero carb or almost zero carb foods.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on resisting the minstrels! Just check the carb count on your low sugar beans, even without the sugar beans tend to be quite carby