Still waiting...

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Thanks izzzi. I still hit a wall at 5pm where I could sleep standing up and my eyes are still fuzzy, so a long way to go. But I am definitely feeling better. I'm no longer a stranger to flax seeds lol I have learned to much in a fortnight.

;) I just happened to notice some info on the web regarding flax and diabetes:

"Individuals with high blood triglycerides should avoid flaxseed and flaxseed oil due to unclear effects on triglyceride levels in animal research. People with diabetes should use caution if taking flaxseed products by mouth, as the omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed and flaxseed oil may increase blood sugar levels."
http://momsorganicmarket.com/ns/Dis...2a98fc8de4784880288&DocID=bottomline-flaxseed

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

"Individuals with high blood triglycerides should avoid flaxseed and flaxseed oil due to unclear effects on triglyceride levels in animal research. People with diabetes should use caution if taking flaxseed products by mouth, as the omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed and flaxseed oil may increase blood sugar levels."
http://momsorganicmarket.com/ns/Dis...2a98fc8de4784880288&DocID=bottomline-flaxseed

im not clever enough to dispute any article but i eat milled flax seed with my yogurt every day and my trigs are perfect along with bg

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi FatGenes

Thanks for looking out for my welfare :)

I admit I am very ignorant when it comes to biology. I guess I am going to have to learn fast! I am not sure what high blood triglycerides even means, but I saw someone here the other day mention a website http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/ where I might be able to access all my test results. With the help of the kind members here and my brother, who is a biochemist, I hope to get a better handle on things.

I thought omega-3 fatty acids were found in fish and, as people are always being advised to eat fish as part of a healthy diet, would not be a bad thing. Dunno. I don't eat fish.

Anyway, back to the flax seeds. When I went overnight from a high carb, high fibre diet (is veggie) to a low carb, high fat diet, my insides were not too impressed with the sudden change. Google told me that ground flax seeds were very high in fibre and low in carbs. Sprinkling a tablespoon on my Greek yogurt helped my plumbing (trying to be ladylike with my language here and possibly failing lol) Turns out I love the flavour and texture too...especially with a few berries thrown in.

As an obsessive bg tester, I have not seen any difference. I hope to reintroduce fibrous fruits and pulses back into my diet as my blood normalises. I will, of course, lay off the flax seeds while I wait for the metformin to settle in - in case I explode :wideyed:

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Hi FatGenes

Thanks for looking out for my welfare :)

I admit I am very ignorant when it comes to biology. I guess I am going to have to learn fast! I am not sure what high blood triglycerides even means, but I saw someone here the other day mention a website http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/ where I might be able to access all my test results. With the help of the kind members here and my brother, who is a biochemist, I hope to get a better handle on things.

I thought omega-3 fatty acids were found in fish and, as people are always being advised to eat fish as part of a healthy diet, would not be a bad thing. Dunno. I don't eat fish.

Anyway, back to the flax seeds. When I went overnight from a high carb, high fibre diet (is veggie) to a low carb, high fat diet, my insides were not too impressed with the sudden change. Google told me that ground flax seeds were very high in fibre and low in carbs. Sprinkling a tablespoon on my Greek yogurt helped my plumbing (trying to be ladylike with my language here and possibly failing lol) Turns out I love the flavour and texture too...especially with a few berries thrown in.

As an obsessive bg tester, I have not seen any difference. I hope to reintroduce fibrous fruits and pulses back into my diet as my blood normalises. I will, of course, lay off the flax seeds while I wait for the metformin to settle in - in case I explode :wideyed:

I'm so glad you took my comment in the light in which it was intended. I'm not the type to burst anyone's balloon, or, be cheeky about something as important as this. I'm glad that you are giving this some thought, esp. since this article is not the only mention of flax-seeds (oil too?) raising BG levels. I've seen personal testimonies to such.
I'm a chronic BG-tester too; sometimes it might be hard to tell which factor might be raising the levels.
Anyway, best of luck to you!:happy:

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[quote="Avocado Sevenfold, post: 467272, member: 91401 [edit]
When I went overnight from a high carb, high fibre diet (is veggie) to a low carb, high fat diet, my insides were not too impressed with the sudden change.
[/quote]

:playful:Organic coconut oil is excellent for digestion, also, apple cider vinegar, and blue-green algae type sea-plants, like spirulina.
I use these for digestive issues, as well as their other help benefits, like stabilizing BG.

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
im not clever enough to dispute any article but i eat milled flax seed with my yogurt every day and my trigs are perfect along with bg

:DSounds delicious!

Btw, I enjoy "dispersing information", even at the risk of sounding presumptuous:smug:. Don't mean to ruin anyone's enjoyment of good solutions.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
:DSounds delicious!

Btw, I enjoy "dispersing information", even at the risk of sounding presumptuous:smug:. Don't mean to ruin anyone's enjoyment of good solutions.

i enjoy "dispersing information" even at the risk of sounding completely bananas :wacky:

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
i enjoy "dispersing information" even at the risk of sounding completely bananas :wacky:

:pOr, I should say, even at the risk of setting myself up for having to "take the mick", I believe the UK expression is.
That's OK, we New York gals are thick-skinned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm almost exactly the same as avocado, except I was diagnosed on Dec 19. I had already started to diet,. I have not been advised to take meds yet, most of my fasting tests are around 7.0 some lower so after 5 weeks they are averaging 6.9. Can't remember what my blood test reading was. I was picked up by my GP practice after having a high glucose tolerance result after a routine check and have had no illness symptoms that I can pinpoint. The thing that worries me is all the numbers, re; carbs, etc, all too much for this oldie to learn. It all scares me, I too suffer from depression and anxiety and all this is not helping. How can I diet like this for the rest of my life? It's like any diet, at first you think I can do this, but after the first month for me it has become tougher . My worst time was over Christmas and NY. I stopped accepting invitations to go out as I felt I could not eat. Some days I am so hungry I could eat my own fingers. I've only just visited this site so am going to look for recipes. I've done the Atkins style diet in the past,(without the fat) and soon got bored with it. Do I want to live a shorter but happier life or a longer miserable one?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I'm almost exactly the same as avocado, except I was diagnosed on Dec 19. I had already started to diet,. I have not been advised to take meds yet, most of my fasting tests are around 7.0 some lower so after 5 weeks they are averaging 6.9. Can't remember what my blood test reading was. I was picked up by my GP practice after having a high glucose tolerance result after a routine check and have had no illness symptoms that I can pinpoint. The thing that worries me is all the numbers, re; carbs, etc, all too much for this oldie to learn. It all scares me, I too suffer from depression and anxiety and all this is not helping. How can I diet like this for the rest of my life? It's like any diet, at first you think I can do this, but after the first month for me it has become tougher . My worst time was over Christmas and NY. I stopped accepting invitations to go out as I felt I could not eat. Some days I am so hungry I could eat my own fingers. I've only just visited this site so am going to look for recipes. I've done the Atkins style diet in the past,(without the fat) and soon got bored with it. Do I want to live a shorter but happier life or a longer miserable one?

Welcome Janz :)

Your blood levels are looking good already.

I am not thinking of this as a diet, but as an opportunity to eat differently and learn to cook lovely new dishes. Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. I am collecting any recipe that looks appealing and putting it in a folder.

One of my worse symptoms before I changed my regime was that I was constantly hungry. I was eating mountains of rubbish to try to get energy, but because my metabolism was knackered, nothing ever satisfied me. On low carb/high fat, my hunger and bingeing just disappeared almost overnight. It is such a relief. Eating fat helps to keep hunger at bay so don't be afraid of it while you are adapting to your new way of eating. You need to get your energy from somewhere. You can tweak your eating once your bloods are normal.

I believe that my anxiety levels have come down too. Perhaps because my blood sugar is no longer up and down like a dog's leg? Not sure. I have more energy too. All those peeks and troughs were making me fall asleep all the time and I lost the motivation to do anything. I am now in a better mood generally.

It must be difficult for you as you had no symptoms and it came out of the blue. Once you get over the shock, I am sure you will become more optimistic about the future. It is a condition which requires you to eat delicious, healthy foods and to be nice to yourself. Try to embrace it :)

Please promise that you will stick around.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

[quote="Avocado Sevenfold, post: 467272, member: 91401 [edit]
When I went overnight from a high carb, high fibre diet (is veggie) to a low carb, high fat diet, my insides were not too impressed with the sudden change.

:playful:Organic coconut oil is excellent for digestion, also, apple cider vinegar, and blue-green algae type sea-plants, like spirulina.
I use these for digestive issues, as well as their other help benefits, like stabilizing BG.

blue-green algae...err...sounds yummy lol. Coconut oil...now you're talking!

As promised, I have posted the recipe for low carb cheese sauce on the low carb recipe thread. It is seriously good! :hungry:

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Janz :)

Your blood levels are looking good already.

I am not thinking of this as a diet, but as an opportunity to eat differently and learn to cook lovely new dishes. Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. I am collecting any recipe that looks appealing and putting it in a folder.

One of my worse symptoms before I changed my regime was that I was constantly hungry. I was eating mountains of rubbish to try to get energy, but because my metabolism was knackered, nothing ever satisfied me. On low carb/high fat, my hunger and bingeing just disappeared almost overnight. It is such a relief. Eating fat helps to keep hunger at bay so don't be afraid of it while you are adapting to your new way of eating. You need to get your energy from somewhere. You can tweak your eating once your bloods are normal.

I believe that my anxiety levels have come down too. Perhaps because my blood sugar is no longer up and down like a dog's leg? Not sure. I have more energy too. All those peeks and troughs were making me fall asleep all the time and I lost the motivation to do anything. I am now in a better mood generally.

It must be difficult for you as you had no symptoms and it came out of the blue. Once you get over the shock, I am sure you will become more optimistic about the future. It is a condition which requires you to eat delicious, healthy foods and to be nice to yourself. Try to embrace it :)

Please promise that you will stick around.

Thanks for your uplifting reply. I have my own way of fighting depression, so that I don't have to take meds, ( I was on Citalopram for 2 years) I gave to admit tha comfort foods were my crutch and the thought of going through life without them upsets me. I always ate what I considered a healthy diet, 5 a day , low fat, but obviously too much sugar. It's been really hard to adjust, I just have to take each day one step at a time. My next hba1c is in 2 weeks and I am hoping to see an improvement . I had my eye test last week and no problems there. I suppose I should be gratefull after reading about some people's problems. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks for your uplifting reply. I have my own way of fighting depression, so that I don't have to take meds, ( I was on Citalopram for 2 years) I gave to admit tha comfort foods were my crutch and the thought of going through life without them upsets me. I always ate what I considered a healthy diet, 5 a day , low fat, but obviously too much sugar. It's been really hard to adjust, I just have to take each day one step at a time. My next hba1c is in 2 weeks and I am hoping to see an improvement . I had my eye test last week and no problems there. I suppose I should be gratefull after reading about some people's problems. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Good morning Janz :happy:

You sound like you have good control of your mental health. My doctor will not give me meds for agoraphobia, but gives statins out like sweeties (or at least she tries to hehe) I muddle by and count my blessings. As you say, when you see what other people have to live with..

So you like comfort food?! I am going to share with you the best recipe I have found on my web travels. Cheesy cauliflower mash! I was not hard core low carb/high fat enough to use double cream when I first tried it, so used philadelphia and it worked a treat. I could eat this every day!

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower.html

Andy can even magic a cauliflower into a pizza! lol I must try this tonight...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cauliflower-pizza.38958/#post-364979

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the cauli recipe, I've ordered some from Tesco on my weekly order, you see I can't often pluck up courage to go to a supermarket, so Delivery service is a god send. Today I read all the carb contents of food as well as sugar and realised that the small pizza I was eating although only having 7 grm sugar had a whopping 45 germs of carbs, so that explains one spike I had last weekend ! I am having to rearrange all our weekend meals, over the years we've been very set in our ways, like pizza and a rented film on Saturday nights because it's a night off from cooking, or sometimes a beef hotpot done slowly in the oven then dished up as required, so those things are now out. Last weekend I bought a large chunk of Turkey , roasted it and we had 2 nights with salad and a couple of new potatoes. My numbers came down to 6.8 . Tues I used left over turkey with vegetables in my crockpot to make a soothing thick soup/ stew, Weds morning my numbers had gone back to 7.8 I guess I overdid the potatoes and carrots. So that's my dilemma , I don't feel I can stick to a totally carb free diet. !!! It would drive me mad. Tonight I am having chicken breast baked with bacon and cheese, going to have a side salad and cottage cheese in place of gravy. Hmmmm..... No pudding. Just a cup of coffee or tea about 7pm. The nurse never tells me whether my fasting numbers of around 7 to 8 are good or not ,but when I read on here what some peoples numbers are it really confuses me. I think up until recently I would have been classed as borderline but now nurse says there's no such thing as borderline, you either are or you aren't, government guidelines again but I feel they have moved the goalposts. Keep well, regards, Jan

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the cauli recipe, I've ordered some from Tesco on my weekly order, you see I can't often pluck up courage to go to a supermarket, so Delivery service is a god send. Today I read all the carb contents of food as well as sugar and realised that the small pizza I was eating although only having 7 grm sugar had a whopping 45 germs of carbs, so that explains one spike I had last weekend ! I am having to rearrange all our weekend meals, over the years we've been very set in our ways, like pizza and a rented film on Saturday nights because it's a night off from cooking, or sometimes a beef hotpot done slowly in the oven then dished up as required, so those things are now out. Last weekend I bought a large chunk of Turkey , roasted it and we had 2 nights with salad and a couple of new potatoes. My numbers came down to 6.8 . Tues I used left over turkey with vegetables in my crockpot to make a soothing thick soup/ stew, Weds morning my numbers had gone back to 7.8 I guess I overdid the potatoes and carrots. So that's my dilemma , I don't feel I can stick to a totally carb free diet. !!! It would drive me mad. Tonight I am having chicken breast baked with bacon and cheese, going to have a side salad and cottage cheese in place of gravy. Hmmmm..... No pudding. Just a cup of coffee or tea about 7pm. The nurse never tells me whether my fasting numbers of around 7 to 8 are good or not ,but when I read on here what some peoples numbers are it really confuses me. I think up until recently I would have been classed as borderline but now nurse says there's no such thing as borderline, you either are or you aren't, government guidelines again but I feel they have moved the goalposts. Keep well, regards, Jan

P.S. Germs should obviously read grams.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i think germs is better

you cant zero carb, how low you go is up to you :) all we can do is find a balance between food we eat and numbers we want, you dont have to have perfect numbers just the best numbers you can manage, finding alternatives takes a long while, theres no rush, be happy at where you are for now and see how things go, your numbers will continue to settle anyways and you may find that your changes are enough, you can decide to go for improvements again when your ready, there are no rules other than the ones we make for ourselves, rather than thinking i cant do this, try to think i am doing well, ill plateaux here for a while then maybe decide to go for lower numbers when im ready

all just an opinion, best wishes

Reactions: 4 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm doing a lot of the same trial and error stuff; some of it has been a real "wake-up call", LOL (after the carbs put me in a zoned-out state:hungover:).
Yeah, the "borderline" thing is kind of "iffly" here in the States too. So is the term "mild". My GP confirmed that its just like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't. There really are levels of DB severity, though, and I think that is what we are trying to describe by using those terms.
Thanks for sharing your recent experiences with food and BG.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Janz

I can't go food shopping alone. Sometimes I can't face it, but my teenage daughter can drive now and she weirdly loves food shopping. Always more expensive when she goes as she is a bit of a health foody. I am fortunate to have a local job. It is five minutes door to door with parking at both ends. I can't walk it or bus it. As i say, we are muddling by lol

As Andy says, zero carbs is not possible (or desirable). The way I look at it is, if you think of all the food available, minus off all the carby, sugary stuff and only eat what is left, there is not enough hours in the day to overconsume carbs. As long as I am making good choices on a meal-by-meal basis, I will be healthy. Testing confirms that. I don't want to get bogged down in counting. No spreadsheets on the dinner table! lol

I don't look at the sugar content on labels. The carb figure contains the sugar amount anyway, so it is one less number to worry about.

I am still eating gravy with my bangers and (cauli) mash. Maybe you mean real gravy, I use Bisto as it is veggie. It's not high carb once made up and you don't need a lot of it.

Perhaps you might consider changing the theme of your Saturday night from take away night to curry night. Let your crockpot do all the work. As far as I know, there is no carbs in meat, so you have infinite possibilities. (Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I'm doing a lot of the same trial and error stuff; some of it has been a real "wake-up call", LOL (after the carbs put me in a zoned-out state:hungover:).
Yeah, the "borderline" thing is kind of "iffly" here in the States too. So is the term "mild". My GP confirmed that its just like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't. There really are levels of DB severity, though, and I think that is what we are trying to describe by using those terms.
Thanks for sharing your recent experiences with food and BG.

"... its just like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't." That's a very good way of putting it!

(Is that your guitar? We have a replica of Slash's Appetite For Destruction Les Paul. It is a beauty. My son is not bad, but I am rubbish at it lol)

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding a curry night, yes I love it and make my own nice curries, however I usually mop them up with lashings of rice. A couple of weeks ago I had a rissioto, now that's definitely out as I had a big spike the day after. So curry a will have to have a tiny helping of rice, I used to also buy the birds eye frozen korma with rice but found this week by reading the label that there's 69 grs of carbs in one meal. I do have brown rice in my cupboard, hate it but better than none. Haven't been to my fav. Chinese since diagnosis, :0(