CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks @ladybird64.
I won't assume to know how it all works. Never claimed for anything and I'm finding the whole experience very humiliating and I just wouldn't even claim if I didn't have the kids to provide for. They deserve a happy and 'normal' life.
We didn't have kids to live on hand outs. We had children when money was no problem and we were in good health.
Funny how life has a nac of kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it. :'(
Just a suggestion for you get the forms for PIP for yourself and husband having ESA is nothing to do with PIP or income even the queen can apply for it.

Write down on separate sheets of paper how your conditions affect you same for husband and then make an apt with the CAB who are skilled in filling in these forms and know how to dot I's and cross T's

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just a suggestion for you get the forms for PIP for yourself and husband having ESA is nothing to do with PIP or income even the queen can apply for it.

Write down on separate sheets of paper how your conditions affect you same for husband and then make an apt with the CAB who are skilled in filling in these forms and know how to dot I's and cross T's
Thank you @CarbsRok
Thank you for keeping me right. :)

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Thanks @ladybird64.
I won't assume to know how it all works. Never claimed for anything and I'm finding the whole experience very humiliating and I just wouldn't even claim if I didn't have the kids to provide for. They deserve a happy and 'normal' life.
We didn't have kids to live on hand outs. We had children when money was no problem and we were in good health.
Funny how life has a nac of kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it. :'(

The only reason I know how it all works is through personal experience ickihun, I have a daughter who is registered disabled and have had many fights with these barstewards over the years. I know it's humiliating and demoralising but that is the intention. Don't give up, no matter how **** it makes you feel as you have a right to help after paying your taxes. If you can afford a £20 subscription, this is an excellent site http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/join-us, they really have helped a lot of people and they know their stuff. CAB are generally good (IF you can get an appt to see them, in certain areas it's difficult), unfortunately in our case, they were absolutely useless and knew nothing about (what was then) the new ESA benefit. It took me 9 months to get a wrong decision overturned, and it was hellish, but it can be done. Get all the evidence together and get yourself some help, I noted that you said you had got no points so I'm assuming you have been turned down. Make sure you appeal, good luck xx

Reactions: 8 people

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Actually, the Queen is too old to claim PIP. The Queen would have to claim Attendence Allowance.:)

Reactions: 3 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't take offence because I'm in no way judging you, just stating the facts as I know it! Your profile says you go swimming three times a week and do loads of walking. From that level of mobility they will automatically give you zero points for the physical disability/mobility part. Good luck with it!
swimming is really good way to use a lot of muscles without the impact. The only problem is getting in and out. A few years ago the pool was shut for an hour so that people like me could be helped - even use a hoist to get me in and out. Alas it was cut. Just because you can swim does not make you mobile, it just supports the body to allow you to exercise parts of the body that normally do not move well. I can float/snorkel in the sea for hours but I can't get in and out on my own.

Reactions: 2 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree but I called them about my change in mobility nearly a month ago as I cannot walk or stand without being in horrific pain because of a trapped nerve or neuropathy and I was ignored. I'm still in pain and have no power in my right leg. At all. I cannot get in nor out of my shower/bath never mind a pool. (Sorry if I sound grouchy) I've been told off friends that only active people get trap nerves.I only started swimming and walking to improve mt bgs but has made my health worse. On more tablets not less. :-(
you would have really loved that programme of swimming therapy the feeling of weightlessness, the free movements of limbs, such bliss.

S

Shar67

I used to be a CAB advisor, many people fail in claims because they answer to literally, for example do you need help going to the toilet, most people think this means a physical person helping, do answer no but if they use furniture to hold on to, door handle, the wall, that is all help getting you to the toilet so the answer is yes. How often to you need help, the correct answer is as often as needed, not once or twice.
If you fail appeal, apply again get help from CAB

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

swimming is really good way to use a lot of muscles without the impact. The only problem is getting in and out. A few years ago the pool was shut for an hour so that people like me could be helped - even use a hoist to get me in and out. Alas it was cut. Just because you can swim does not make you mobile, it just supports the body to allow you to exercise parts of the body that normally do not move well. I can float/snorkel in the sea for hours but I can't get in and out on my own.
I agree @brenda walker but that was not the point. If you state on your benefits application that you have that level of mobility then you are automatically considered mobile. One of the problems if the assessment is it doesn't consider the details of each individual case.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B
I agree @brenda walker but that was not the point. If you state on your benefits application that you have that level of mobility then you are automatically considered mobile. One of the problems if the assessment is it doesn't consider the details of each individual case.

Very true Mrs P. In theory it does, but in reality it is a tick boxing, point scoring exercise that doesn't take into account how conditions can vary drastically from day to day. It's a cruel and unfair system that is leaving many who are genuinely struggling to live with illness/disability unsupported. I speak from first hand experience and know just how corrupt they are too.

S

Shar67

B

Very true Mrs P. In theory it does, but in reality it is a tick boxing, point scoring exercise that doesn't take into account how conditions can vary drastically from day to day. It's a cruel and unfair system that is leaving many who are genuinely struggling to live with illness/disability unsupported. I speak from first hand experience and know just how corrupt they are too.

If your conditions varies day to day then you fill out questions based on your worse day but agreed it is not a fair system

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know Shar, I've had more than 20 years of dealing with them unfortunately.
Won't disrupt the thread but will give an example. Daughter receiving DLA for care and mobility, high rate for both. Mobility probs, learning disability, hypothyroidism, insulin dependant T2 on four injections per day - unable to manage own meds. Severe behavioural issues including episodes of psychosis, nighttime and occasionally daytime incontinence, sleep apnoea, asthma. Unable to bathe unsupported, unable to go out alone. Rare syndrome.

At ATOS assessment (medical) she was awarded 15 points in total for continence issues only and put in work related activities group - this was for ESA, but similar setup to PIP with Medicals etc.
So important to get supporting evidence from any professionals concerned and read questions very very carefully.

Reactions: 5 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel so sorry for anyone going through the PIP examination. I went for mine in December it was a joke. I suffer from PTSD as well as limited mobility and bladder issues. The CAB helped me fill out the forms and said they thought I had a good chance of getting it. I scored 0 at the examination. The exam itself I was in floods of tears could not wait to get of there. It was so stressful for me. A part from asking me to count backwards -7 from 100 which I failed to get right without writing it down and still got it wrong without a couple of goes and squatting to see if my mobility was a problem, there was no examination at all. Now a month later when I went for my ESA examination, I was still in floods of tears. Was given water to help calm me down. My blood pressure was taken, I was asked to get up on the couch and lie back (which I couldnt do) then lift my legs up and press down on the couch to see how I managed. I had an eye examination to see how far I could read. The 2 examinations were like chalk and cheese. I got the ESA top tier and do not need another examination for 18 months. The Government needs to set 1 standard examination that qualifies for either PIP or ESA and if you fail you should get JSA. The trouble is the PIP is given regardless of if you work or not so it is much harder to be granted. I feel you literally have to be on your death bed to get it. Apparently there are 2 sorts of examination as well a physical and a mental examination. I do not think mine covered either of my conditions. I do not understand why we need to complete so many forms stating exactly the same thing and being examined to different levels of quality. Surely there has to be a 1 form fits all benefits but clearly there is a lot of work the Government needs to do to stop wasting everyone's time and money in splitting all these benefits and having all the administration processes for ultimately the same person.

Reactions: Nooch1

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately for claimants, ESA and PIP look for different things. ESA is about your in/ability to work, while PIP is about whether you have problems with Daily Living activities and Mobility. It's true that some physical or mental problems are harder to score points for under PIP than to qualify for DLA, which wasn't points based and usually didn't involve an examination. If you are unhappy with the decision taken by DWP using evidence of examination plus your claim form and any letters you provided, then you should appeal for mandatory reconsideration and tribunal, if MR doesn't change result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

jason181

Hi all
I have had type 1 for just over 1 year now, i was working when i found out i had it, and lost this job. Since then ive struggled with my diabetes alot and find it very rare that i hit single digits. this is causing me to be stupidly tired all the time, struggle with focusing on anything for more than 10mins and sleeping any chance i get. im getting really bad cramps in legs during sleep and have even wet the bed at times, due too blood being soo high.
i found a job with a family friend in feb but i took so much time off that he had to let me go, i was struggling even more while working as i was missing jabs and eating extra and stuff because it was a pretty physical job and i was worried about hypos, during the month and half i was there i took a full week off and stayed off a lot of random days aswell. after he said he couldnt carry on like that so i reclaimed esa.
well two months ago a well paid job in a factory came up so i said i would give it a shot again to see if i was any fitter and capable of work.
Unfortunatly this only lasted 3 weeks and i had 5 days off during this time.
i suffer with bad social anxiety and depression along with the very badly controlled type 1.
I had to do a health assesment in the jobcentre and they have just called me saying i scored no points and they are stopping my esa.
I dont really understand how i can score 0 after what we discussed in the assessment. they have booked a appointment for me to claim jsa, even tho i know i cant work right now.
can they really stop my money and will try force me to look for work. dont get me wrong i do want to work but i just know i need more time

Any advice is much appriciated thanks
Do appeal as most who do win there case the ones who do the medical checks are paid to get people. Off esa and on to jsa as it saves the government money plus. They will be able to get on to you non stop about finding a job good luck do go to the cab office as they do a great service on getting peoples benfits. Back for them by the way how long was your assessment and did you ask for a copy of the report to be sent to you as its your right to see how many points and what they said about you the assessment s are not fair your gp knows you best but the powers what be even call doctors liers

Reactions: 6 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I failed but on appeal, with letters from doctors and health care figures I got it. It's no good saying on a good I can walk 2 miles, always describe your worst day, like I can't walk to the corner. You say you are depressed add that you think about ending it all. Depression is not enough you must have severe depression. You can fail the interview but die from your condition 2 days later. It has been known. Even unstable diabetes is not enough.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, PIP assessments are meant to consider how you are "most of the time", not only what you are like on your very worst day (or part of day).

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, you need to request a mandatory reconsideration. Any new or additional evidence will help your case.

When you attend your appointment to claim Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), your work coach will be looking at what you can or may be able to do. What are your interests, hobbies, strengths etc?

When you claim JSA you can also request an extended period of sickness. The maximum length of time is 13 wks and you will need to complete a form from the Jobcentre and supply a medical certificate. This means that some of the more stringent rules that go hand in hand with being a jobseekers are "relaxed" a bit during this period. Your work coach may conduct some appointments by phone call or e-mail rather than you attending the office each week.

You will still need to take some steps as a jobseeker but an experienced work coach should take things slowly and gradually and discuss with you what YOU feel YOU can do.