Stopped insulin

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
After constantly upping my insulin only to get higher still figures wondered if i am in fact insulin resistant so all day yesterday ate normally but gave no insulin and bgs are much lower 6-8 range but this morning i feel strange around heart and am a bit out of breath so is this my body adjusting or am i putting my health at risk

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I'm not entirely sure being new to insulin but I really dont think you should just stop as its a shock to the body. Better to reduce gradually.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you tested for ketones, stopping your insulin is a bad idea and you need to speak with your medical team asap.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spoken to my gp as breathlessness increased and going onto Levemir only. Had levemir in the past and had no effect however i may need to use more.....watch this space

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Back to basal bolus and did not realise that too little insulin makes you feel so ill :doctor:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are not producing enough insulin, not taking it stops your body from regulating ketones. This results in too many in the blood and can result in diabetic ketoacidosis where the blood is made more acid due to the fatty acids.

The pains and breathlessness you described sound like the early stages of this. Best avoided.