Type 2 Stopped Losing Weight

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doc told me to come off Metformin last week as it was making me feel ill (only been on it for a week and a half). I was doing well and felt better but really miss the appetite suppressant effect! Feeling hungry and weight plateaued. This morning before breakfast my BG was 6.8 - the highest in two weeks. I was pretty good last night. Does this mean too many carbs, eating too late, calories too high or a combo of those things? Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It means you are still experiencing the dawn phenomenon when blood sugars rise to get us out of bed in the morning..
They are usually the last ones to come down to "normal" levels. There seem to be various tricks to lower them but to be honest I've never bothered.. they are what they are.
How low in carbs terms have you tried to be?
Edit to add not quite sure how this fits in with your thread title...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather depends what you ate? and how it compares with what you have eaten on other days.

If the only thing that has changed is the removal of the Metform, then that may be the culprit.
On the other hand, if there have been other variables (heat, stress, different activity levels, different foods, different eating times, different portion sizes), then you need to do a lot more testing and comparisons and experiments, before you can draw any firm conclusions.

Hope that helps.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A week and a half isn't very long for the effects of the (mild) appetite suppressant affect of Metformin to have firstly kicked in and secondly to have abated and stalled weight loss. Metformin works in a cumulative fashion.

Reactions: Flora123

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did the GP offer you the Slow Release (SR) version of Metformin which is much kinder. Yes, avoid early morning meter tests and keep the carbs down.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rather depends what you ate? and how it compares with what you have eaten on other days.

If the only thing that has changed is the removal of the Metform, then that may be the culprit.
On the other hand, if there have been other variables (heat, stress, different activity levels, different foods, different eating times, different portion sizes), then you need to do a lot more testing and comparisons and experiments, before you can draw any firm conclusions.

Hope that helps.

It does. Thanks

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did the GP offer you the Slow Release (SR) version of Metformin which is much kinder. Yes, avoid early morning meter tests and keep the carbs down.

No I wasn’t offered it as my reading are low so I think wanted to see what happened without. Not sure if the slight rise is because of that or coincidence. Tests done around the same time every day. :(