Stopping insulin

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I know that non of us forum users are medically trained but I would like some advice from anyone who has managed to get off insulin with weight loss and diet. I started lchf about the 7th of January this year and was injecting 60 units of insulin twice a day plus 400mg of metformin daily and a once a week injection of dulaglutide and my bs were still relatively high. I have since then lost 2 stone in weight and feel a whole lot better. I have reduced my insulin to 10 units twice a day but continued with the metformin and dulaglutide. My bs are now around 4.6 before eating.
I am thinking of stopping the insulin completely. When I saw my dn about a month ago my hba1c was 37 and she completely agreed with the lchf and said that it was a strong possibility that I would be able to come off insulin completely...at some point. What did you do? Did you stop just by yourself or with the consent of your doctor /nurse.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your bg is a bit low try cutting a couple of units for a few days and see how your bg reacts it takes a few days to alter. i was on 70 units im now on 4x500 metformin. if you have a consultant you could ask if you could try a insulin free trial. but dont stop without advice.and be willing to up it and restart if you need to. and loads of us end up with none diabetic numbers so yes your able to be in remission.

Reactions: deb1960

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You do not need the consent of your HCPs but it would be wise to discuss your plans with their knowledge and guidance. Good luck.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i find it best if the consultant remains friendly. but of course you can do what you want.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Thanks for your replies. I am going on a cruise at the end of April and it would be lovely to be completely off insulin. I am happy to continue with the metformin for ever if necessary. I have dieted many, many times over the years but always with the knowledge that I would regain the weight ( madness eh?) But this time it's for ever. There's far too much to lose...pardon the pun...like my eyesight, limbs plus the increased risk of heart attack and strokes. I had been having a very fast, irregular heartbeat and palpitations there was a possibility that I'd need cardiac ablation but since I started to lose weight etc I'm no longer having any symptoms. I am due to see the cardiologist at the end of this month but I'm sure it won't be necessary now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that non of us forum users are medically trained but I would like some advice from anyone who has managed to get off insulin with weight loss and diet. I started lchf about the 7th of January this year and was injecting 60 units of insulin twice a day plus 400mg of metformin daily and a once a week injection of dulaglutide and my bs were still relatively high. I have since then lost 2 stone in weight and feel a whole lot better. I have reduced my insulin to 10 units twice a day but continued with the metformin and dulaglutide. My bs are now around 4.6 before eating.
I am thinking of stopping the insulin completely. When I saw my dn about a month ago my hba1c was 37 and she completely agreed with the lchf and said that it was a strong possibility that I would be able to come off insulin completely...at some point. What did you do? Did you stop just by yourself or with the consent of your doctor /nurse.

Well done on that progress, Deb. That's stunning - both on the trimming up and insulin front!

When you saw your DN, did you go through any "what if" scenarios around how you might trim back your meds? If not, that might be a decent idea; even if it is a telephone conversation. She seems supportive of your way of eating, so I'm sure she'd be keen to ensure you were reducing your meds, both when appropriate and secondly in sensible increments.

Whatever you do, I hope you have lots of strips to hand, because you need to be testing lots to ensure you're not going too high or low whilst your changing stuff.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the cruise and stopping insulin maybe cruise then stop. being medi vaced off a cruise is very expensive.