Stopping Metformin for Pioglitazone

Delves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Overcrowded places and Bad Manners
My last blood test showed my Kidneys where not working as they should so my Doctor took me off Metformin and replaced it with Pioglitazone 30 mg tablets. since then my blood sugar has gone from 8 to the high 20's. Is this a serious situation?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My last blood test showed my Kidneys where not working as they should so my Doctor took me off Metformin and replaced it with Pioglitazone 30 mg tablets. since then my blood sugar has gone from 8 to the high 20's. Is this a serious situation?
Hi @Delves , and welcome to the forum!
Yes, high 20's is trouble. If the reading is right. Have you retested with clean hands?
What did you eat and how long before testing?

If you've had reasonable numbers on metformin, it's unexpected to suddenly go much higher on different meds.

If a retest shows high 20's again and it doesn't drop quickly I'd call 111 for advice.

All the best, and let us know how you are!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. On a side issue can I suggest you review the side effects of Pioglitazone with the GP. It does have some side effects for those with certain other conditions. With regard to sudden rise in BS, if you are not overweight it is possible you are not T2 but late onset T1 (LADA). If so you need to keep a close eye on the that BS and if it keeps rising or stays in the 20s do seek urgent medical guidance and call 111 or go to A&E if needed. Have plenty of water and keep the carbs down.