Stopping smoking

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
Stopped 9 years ago, just went cold turkey, was **** for first week must of ate 40 odd bags of dry roasted nuts, once i got past 10 days i was ok

Reactions: 6 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not so bad during the week at work as I'm busy and it keeps me occupied, but my next big test will be this weekend as I am going to a bbq and there will be wine!!! Hopefully my resolve will remain after a glass or two. I am thinking of getting an e-cig to take with me.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave up 8 years ago with hypnotherapy and patches. I also kept a packet in the kitchen draw in case of emergencies but threw them out unopened after 2 years.

Reactions: 7 people

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Quit almost 8 years ago now and in all honesty I did not find it as hard as I expected,but it's my belief that the only way to give up smoking is to WANT TO if you don't have that ambition it will be really hard ,just don't give up giving up

Reactions: 14 people

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Keep reading E Cigs are full of chemicals can't be good for health they are supposed to be banned in France,I'm thinking not good for health

Reactions: 2 people

Topmansmithy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
modern life
Quit almost 8 years ago now and in all honesty I did not find it as hard as I expected,but it's my belief that the only way to give up smoking is to WANT TO if you don't have that ambition it will be really hard ,just don't give up giving up
Totally agree.

Reactions: 6 people

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
I went cold turkey 2 years ago try and keep your self busy and change your routine :)

Reactions: 4 people

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
Can't stand the smell of smoke now

Janiept

Expert
Just wondering whether any successful 'stoppers' gained much weight when they beat the nicotine beast? For health reasons I really need to stop smoking and have managed to reduce to 8 per day, but I know that's 8 too many.
I can't face the thought of regaining weight I have lost and am struggling to find a way to get round this, as I know the metabolism slows when you stop and you (usually) automatically gain weight.
Has anyone done it without gaining?

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Just wondering whether any successful 'stoppers' gained much weight when they beat the nicotine beast? For health reasons I really need to stop smoking and have managed to reduce to 8 per day, but I know that's 8 too many.
I can't face the thought of regaining weight I have lost and am struggling to find a way to get round this, as I know the metabolism slows when you stop and you (usually) automatically gain weight.

I didn't gain... I sipped water which kept me hands and mouth busy.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't gain any weight

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I smoked for many, many years, then 5 years ago, I just stopped. Then I went to my Gp for help, went to a clinic, which was a great help and patches. The first week was, tbh, hell, I was clutching my tea cup with such force I thought I might break it lol. The best thing was my teen, who was then 9 years old, then she supported me so much with lots of encouragement and she drew pictures, with quotes saying 'keep going mum, you're do so well, so proud of you' that really hit home:D. After a week, it did get a little easier and I haven't touched one since, tbh, I can't even stand the smell :yuck: But.................. it's down to the individual to want to give up, with sheers guts, will power and lots of determination, it can be done. I saved up the cigarette money and redecorated my daughters bedroom and a new carpet too, not smelling like an ashtray, and the health benefits are tremendous.
To anyone out there who wants to give up, you really can do it :)

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I got through Polo's by the 5-pack - can't stand them now ;)

Wow, you got through quite a few then :p It was mainly after I came out of the clinic, all the talk about cigarettes did make me want one and also the building ( a very old cottage by a church) was a just a minute away from the town centre, so a couple of mints whilst walking home, did the trick. Wish I had never started
smoking :(

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When you have stopped smoking it's amazing how many smokers you appear to have to walk behind ,all smoking should be banned except perhaps in own home,my wife and I have friend who still smokes andprobably every 8 or 9 weeks we have an evening in house for couple of drinks and it's amazing how much your clothes smell when we leave and get back home,When we smoked I never realised how much our house must have smelled,thinking backI used to have to clean TV screen windows inside etc.everything showing brown on the cloths used and that's not thinking about damage to health .Reallytry to stop you will feel so much better .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

No, I didn't gain any weight at all, only sucked on a few sugar free polo mints when needed. It's eating more food that tends to put on the weight. tbh I would rather of put on a couple of pounds than to keep on smoking those addictive coffin nails :yuck:

Janiept

Expert
When you have stopped smoking it's amazing how many smokers you appear to have to walk behind ,all smoking should be banned except perhaps in own home,my wife and I have friend who still smokes andprobably every 8 or 9 weeks we have an evening in house for couple of drinks and it's amazing how much your clothes smell when we leave and get back home,When we smoked I never realised how much our house must have smelled,thinking backI used to have to clean TV screen windows inside etc.everything showing brown on the cloths used and that's not thinking about damage to health .Reallytry to stop you will feel so much better .
Yes it's disgusting isn't it. When I bought this house I declared it a No Smoking zone and am really pleased with how fresh it is. That's one of the reasons why I have managed to cut down to 8 a day too, as it's too easy to just spark up if you're sitting indoors.
Now to try and conquer that fear ( no make that terror) of weight gain :eek:

Janiept

Expert
No, I didn't gain any weight at all, only sucked on a few sugar free polo mints when needed. It's eating more food that tends to put on the weight. tbh I would rather of put on a couple of pounds than to keep on smoking those addictive coffin nails :yuck:
The metabolic change when you stop is quite well documented Rrb and I know a couple of people who have stopped and even though they ate exactly the same they still gained weight.
I have lately gained 8 lb anyway because of bloomin medication (still eating the same) and the thought of more fills me with dread.
Hands up to having an eating disorder :oops:
I guess it's make or break time.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When we moved a year or so ago we declared the house a smoke free zone so I've always stood outside the back door for a cig.
I kind of associate the door as being my enemy now but it's a week today and I've managed not to kick it in !!!
Try with me Janiept!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App