1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stopping smoking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drahawkins_1973, May 31, 2015.

1. johnboy412000

johnboy412000 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck with it. I found my appetite isnt much more than what it always has been. I eat about the same really and suck on Sugar free Polo mints.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Enclave

Enclave Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Both the wife and I gave up years ago ..it's about taking control ... if you relapse back to smoking ..the cigarettes have control .. Once you realise this in your head and heart ..you can then start to take back control . Your brain is addicted ..going cold turkey is not going to be fun or easy ..but it will make you realise just what a hold cigarettes have on you... This is your life .. You choose .. Well you choose the first cigarette.. After that the addiction takes over.. Then you loose control .. It's NOT EASY ...but it is doable .... If you really want to stop. Willpower ..sheer b€^~} willpower is needed. . Both the wife and I changed our live for the first three months of stopping .. Avoiding social situations where smoking would be so easy .. We also avoided friends that would say ...go on one more won't hurt ... We did not have each other for support as we gave up at different times ..the wife first ... Who is a lot stronger willed than me !
    You can become a non smoker ... But the choice is yours to make .. If you are replacing the cigarettes with other addictive things it will just take longer .. Stand firm .. Draw on every ounce of your self control and will power and just don't smoke ...... This is your body ... Your mind .. Don't let it be controlled by cigarettes ... Take back your control ....

Hope this helps at least get your head around why you smoke and that your able to stop soon

• Like Like x 4
    #82 Enclave, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook