Stoptober -are you quitting smoking?

benedict

Administrator
Is anyone taking part in Stoptober -a month dedicated to helping people quit smoking?

It would be great to hear from people who have either successfully beaten smoking or that are thinking of or going through the process of quitting.

Please share any tips you have and feel free to share your story of how you have beaten cravings or gone through tough times in a bid to stop.

Benedict

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Don't recommend this at all but here's how I gave up around 18 months ago.

I had booked the week off over New Year 2011.

I had already decided to quit by then but didn't have an appointment to see the anti-smoking nurse at the gp's until mid January as she was booked up.

Woke up on New Years day and decided to quit on the spur of the moment.

Over the next 3 days I then drank serious quantities of G&T's and took the occasional half a sleeping pill. I lived for those 3 days in a semi comatose state on my settee.

On the 4th day I didn't want to smoke anymore and I haven't had one since.

When I finally went to see the nurse mid Jan she was less than impressed as I'd already given up. So that she could support me for a couple of months we had to agree tell a small untruth on her form and she wrote down the score an average smoker would register on her blowy meter thing rather than the zero I actually registered. :lol:

So like I said not recommended but it worked for me!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Maybe doctors get a bonus for helping people stop, or they just skew the figures so it looks good. Any how as to the way you gave up lol, not a good one really, but I think I would have to be comatose too. I'm a complete failure at stopping.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
I am currently taking a stop smoking drug that came out in 2006 called Champix and it really works. An avenue really worth investigating if you want to give up smoking and like me had tried everything without success, Deb

Fraddycat

I gave up smoking using the inhalator thingy. I figured that my habit was about the action of smoking as much as anything else. I only used it for about 2 weeks, because I didn't want to get addicted to the replacement. Its been about 10 years now, shame my hubby can't separate himself from the filthy habit.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person, so like this month I am not drinking, I don't do cutting back, I am either doing things to the extreme or not at all.

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
I ''gave up'' when I was pregnant on both my children, starting back a few days after having my first son and 6 months after having my second (stress did it). We stopped smoking in the house when we had the boys and tried not to smoke around them outside.

Then 11 years ago I became a childminder and used to go 10-11 hours without a cigarette as no smoking in front or around the minded children and soon thought if I could go that long without one then I could give up. No fake cigs, no patches, no nothing. Cant believe how long ago it is now. I so wish hubby would give up but he has no intention to and if he did he must do it because he wants to ,not because I want him too.

For those of you who are thinking , good luck and take each day as it comes :)

mercury

I gave up in May this year. Not Easy. I used patches and the inhalator. My wife has been trying to give up since May as well but shw is not having much success. she has just started using Champix.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, :)

It will be extra hard for a Diabetes to give up smoking for many reasons.

30 years ago I had a chimney on my head yet I was quite lucky to have given up the cigarette then.

My first tip would be " do it on your own your way without spending time telling Family and Friends you are going to STOP "
Next " do not waste money on gadgets to assist you in the early stage "
Finally " Taste test "

Good luck

Roy. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I was never a heavy smoker, up to 15 a day, mostly in the evening. I stopped in October 2000 'cos I knew I was going to be out a a job the following March and wouldn't be able to afford them then.

I don't think I was ever addicted, it was more the habit with me. So I employed diversionary tactics by always keeping my hands busy while watching TV etc - I did lots of knitting and sewing, and I'm sorry to admit I ate sweets too :oops: - though I wasn't diabetic then. I really didn't find it very hard.

I have had the occasional one since - the most tempting time used to be in the pub with a glass of wine, but you can't do that any more, can you? I find, now, that the stink of cigarette smoke really puts me off - I can pick a smoker out at 10 paces.

One of the things that motivated me was cleaning the TV screen one day. The cloth was dark brown with nicotine attracted by the static electricity - and that was in my LUNGS! :shock:

If I pass 80 I'm going to start smoking again and buy a Quadbike. :D

Viv 8)

TannyChey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone!
I stopped smoking yesterday more following a hospital visit. The Doctor told me some home truths about smoking and Diabetes. Some which I knew but needed someone to tell me straight, and some I didn't know. When I realised Stoptober was on the 1st, I thought that it would be a good place to start!
I know it's only the second day but I'm doing ok, seem to be getting very fidgety in the evening so any ideas you have to help would be great!
Good Luck everyone!
Tanya x

mhoggarth

Hi all,
I have posted on the forum before about smoking and diabetes. And have tried to quit many times, and failed.

I decided to quit in stopober. I had finished my packet on Saturday. Saving one to have Sunday night.

I'm currently going crazy for a cigarette. I can't stop fidgeting.

Ordered some electronic cigarettes in the Hope they will give my hand something to do and satisfy the cravings. But they have not arrived yet.

I no I can do this, because I don't want to smoke anymore. But I'm not sure if I can finish out the week without a cigarette, nevermind the month and then the rest of time.

karenmr

Dislikes
Miserable people, moaners who have a cold and think they're dying. There are some really poorly people who never complain.
I have quit smoking after 30yrs as a 20 per day person, I'm doing ok during the day but, as Tannychey, I'm very fidgety at night anyone got any help to offer? I have tried to quit before but my willpower is non existent and I've always re started but the consultant, nurses and my GP have now read the riot act and told me a few home truths so it's got to be done, I'm also concerned that instead of smoking I start nibbling thus upsetting my already sensitive control. :roll:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I've quit as well. I wasn't exactly a heavy smoker (10-15 a day kinda gal) but it was more the habit of having a smoke at certain times of day. Having only quit 2 weeks ago, I have to say I'm finding it hard. I was using an electric cigarette for the first week and a half, but having lost it, that can no longer be of use to me!

I registered with the Stoptober text service, so they drop me a text every so often with tips and motivational messages. Sounds daft but it's definitely helping.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Finding something to keep your hands busy is the trick. As I said above, knitting and sewing worked for me. Worry beads might work. Jigsaws? Endless games of Solitaire with real cards? Building models (aircraft etc)? Basketwork? :crazy: :lol:

As for nibbles - cubes of cheese, sticks of celery, strips of peppers or carrots, baby toms - anything low-carb that you can prepare, put into a bowl and just nibble at. Doesn't have to be sweets!

Above all, take it one day at a time. If you give in and have one, don't beat yourself up. Put it behind you and start again.

DON'T BUY ANY! (Yes, that was a shout). Ask your smoker friends not to offer you one - price they are at the moment, your friends will soon stop offering if you don't reciprocate.

Put the money that you would have spent on ciggies, away somewhere. Every now and again get it out and count it. If you manage for six months, treat yourself to a holiday - you'll probably have saved enough. (I ought to do that with red wine :lol: )

Viv 8)

Fraddycat

For evening fidgets what about getting up and going for a walk. If you can get motivated you will be doing yourself a lot of good, getting some clean fresh air into your lungs and keeping your mind occupied. I also relied heavily on chewing gum.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
viviennem said:
Put the money that you would have spent on ciggies, away somewhere. Every now and again get it out and count it. If you manage for six months, treat yourself to a holiday - you'll probably have saved enough. (I ought to do that with red wine :lol: )
It's genuinely surprising how much money can be saved by giving up! I remember one night when I worked behind a bar, I sat down with my boss and worked out that if her and her husband had stopped smoking when they were 25, they would have been able to afford a nice 3 bedroom country house. Really shocking stuff!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I started smoking at the ripe old age of 39!!! :roll: Yes, I know. I should have known better, especially as I'd tried a few ciggies on the top deck of the bus on my way to and from college at the age of 16 and found they turned me green with nausea and I had to get off the bus to be sick and never smoked again until on the day my divorce came through when I was 39. I was upset and shaky and a 'friend' offered me a cigarette and I took it and smoked it as if I was used to smoking 20 a day. And I kept on smoking for the next 10 years and at times I was reaching between 20-30 a day.

I was under tremendous stress at the time, lost my job, marriage, home, and was looking after elderly parents and became ill myself. I tried cutting down, tried stopping cold turkey and I NEVER ONCE enjoyed a cigarette so I couldn't understand why the hell I smoked at all. Yet still I couldn't stop.

Then one day I sat down and had a conversation with my cigarettes and I told them I"Thanks for being there but you can get the hell out of my life because I don't want your kind of help." I also acknowledged that smoking is a horrible, nasty, stinking, dirty habit that I really didn't want to be a part of. It was important for me to be honest about how much I disliked cigarettes AND myself for smoking the damned things and that I totally lacked willpower to just stop without help. That was REALLY important.

I then bought 24hr nicotine patches as advised by the pharmacist but that was a big mistake as they gave me palpitations and night sweats so I ended up tearing the damnded things off. I smoked for another year and went back to another pharmacy and enrolled on their programme.

They took my carbon dioxide levels, gave me a great brochure with loads of VERY SIMPLE advice and most of all a PHONE NUMBER to ring if I had cravings or problems, and they gave me the 15 HOUR PATCHES starting with 25mg first week, down to 10mg after two weeks and then down to 5mg third week.

I stuck the first one on and I didn't have any cravings at all. Took it off and night and slept. Slapped another patch on next morning. It took me 3 weeks to stop smoking completely and I can honestly say I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE I WASN'T SMOKING.

I had NO cravings and when I was in the middle of the 4th week I realised I hadn't been putting the 5mg patch on for a couple of days and hadn't even noticed. For about a month afterwards I ALWAYS carried a 5mg patch in my handbag just in case I got an unexpected craving but I never did. I had to go back to the pharmacy every Friday for the three weeks it took to stop, and they measured my carbon dioxide levels and encouraged me and gave me my new lower level patches. So I felt really supported but not preached at by anyone. And that made a big difference to me. Also I did NOT TELL anyone, friends or family that I was stopping smoking as I knew they'd watch me like a hawk and I didn't need that. I just needed to get on with unhindered.

I can honestly say that from that day 18 May 2002 I became a NON-SMOKER and I have NEVER craved, never even thought about cigarettes ever since.

Looking back I can't actually believe how addicted I was to the damned things, now I couldn't even contemplate going near a packet and feel totally repulsed by them - which is exactly how I felt BEFORE I started smoking.

Just shows what stress can do to a person's psyche. It only takes ONE second to say yes to something we shouldn't ever say yes to.

So although I'm a non-smoker already - my advice is take each day one at a time and every morning congratulate yourself that you didn't smoke yesterday and feel proud of yourself.

I WISH EVERYONE A VERY HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL STOPTOBER :D :thumbup:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up my 20 a day habit about 20 years ago and yes, I'm one of those ex-smokers that will get out of a lift if a stinky smoker get in as the smell makes me heave. Why I spent all that money on soap and perfume all those years ago, I'll never know.

My resolve came when I realised that as an intelligent adult with children, I simply could NOT justify smoking. I simply stopped.

wiflib

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I stopped a few years back after smoking probably near to 30 a day even with severe asthma. :roll: We all know it is down to will power at the end of the day but I found a couple of things helped me.

I was a member of a non-diabetes related chatroom and used that a heck of a lot (it was for people with anxiety/depression). Being able to talk to somebody at the minute a craving hits made so much difference, everyone was really supportive and encouraged me to "sit it out".
Also, physical cravings come in waves and usually last no more than 5 minutes although it seems a lot longer. When it hits, remind yourself that the urge will ease off after a few minutes and try and be prepared that they may well come and go very often for the first week or so!
Psychologically - do what you need to do. Read inspirational stuff. I found the "look at all the money you will save/look at how healthy you will feel/look at how anti-social it is" were a waste of time when my mind was in the "I need a fag NOW!!! :evil: " moment, I needed stuff telling me how to manage at that moment in time.

So in my case - friends, books, anyone who would listen. Further down the line - one day at a time, literally. I did that for months and it worked for me.

Best part now is not having to worry if I am travelling that the minute I get off the bus, train, coach or whatever I will need to have to dive for the exit to light up, same with cafe's restaurants etc. I am happy not to have to join the ranks of the "banished" standing outside in the cold/rain whenever I go out anywhere.

dwibley

When I stopped about 4 years ago after many different attempts this is what worked for me.

Stop completely - I didn't cut down or use replacements, patches etc.
Every time you get the urge, do something, anything. In my case I drank water when I had nothing left to do.
Do not mix with anyone that smokes if possible because it just doesn't help.
Get to day 5 without smoking and you are halfway there.
Get to week 5 and you think of it less and less.
Get to month 5 and you don't think of it at all.

Good luck.