Brockerz

Evening all

Just joined and first time posting on here. I’m a fairly newly diagnosed T1 (within the last 2 years). I require a very low level of background and quick release insulin usually to keep my levels where they need to be.

Recently however, I’ve started a new fitness regime and try and get myself in good shape (wasn’t in that poor shape to start with). This included a change to my diet, primarily focussed on macros. What I’ve found was my blood sugar was usually around the 5mmol mark when testing prior to eating a meal. Typically when having insulin to offset the carbs I found myself ‘going low’ by the time the next meal came around. I tried not having insulin with the meal and found that my BG levels were mid 5 by the time I tested at the next meal.

I’ve not had insulin for a number of weeks now owing to the change in diet and frequent exercise. If I were to take insulin I feel sure I would have hypo’s quite frequently.

BG this evening meal was 5.6mmol. Had Fajitas with 3 wraps. Went slightly off diet and decided to have a few handfuls of some onion ring crisps, a few quality street chocolates and (don’t judge me) about 4 pieces of Shortbread and just before bed a double protein shake. I’ve just tested my levels, expecting them to be a lot higher than usuals and for some reason it’s 4.4. Confused I rewashed my hands and retested (new testing strips, new lancet etc) on a different finger and opposite hand, the result was similar - 4.3. No insulin (background or quick release) consumed today either. No exercise either to speak of.

I’m at a loss to explain it, can anyone else shed some light?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I guess that's a nice problem to have. Here are some thoughts (not sure I'd go so far as to offer them up as suggestions).

1) You're still in honeymoon period and your new diet/fitness regime has reduced your total insulin needs to the amount that your pancreas can deal with.

2) Maybe there was a lot of fat in that off diet meal and the carbs will be absorbed slower (read up about T1s and pizza). It's possible your bg will be higher than usual in the morning.

How many carbs do you normally have in the new diet? I think some LADAs can avoid insulin for quite a while by going low carb...

Good luck, hopefully someone more informed than me will post with some more suggections.

Bishop

Hello
Sounds like you are in the honeymoon period!
Play it smart, don't binge in high sugar foods and you can keep it like this for a longer period of time.
I was there as well, enjoy it is not going to last forever!

Reactions: EllieM