Strange Blood Sugar Results.

simply_h

Hello Guys and Girls,

Hope you are all well.

I have a question if any one could help or advise.

Right went to bed last night and just before bed, I took my blood sugar and it was 4.1 (which is good I guess), woke up at 8am and tested it again, it was 5.1, then when to work and by 12 midday it was 5.8.

What I am finding strange is that I had not eaten anything in the middle of the night (not like I ever do) and I did not eat anything in the morning, I had only drunk approx 1 liter of water, SO why did I have these changes in blood sugar levels.

Any Ideas,

Take care,

Simply_h

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Your body does all sorts of stuff when your sleeping so it's perfectly normal to have slight changes in blood glucose overnight. As long as the change isn't drastic you have nothing to worry about.

Doesn't matter what type of diabetes you have, if you take medication or not, even in people without diabetes, there will always be fluctuations in BG's throughout the whole day, even if you are sleeping, fasting or sat prefectly still :)

hope this helps :)

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One other thing to consider is that the difference between 5.1 and 5.8 can be covered by things like your hydration level, temperature of you or the test strips and the acceptable error range in the testers themselves.

As has been mentioned it is only really big changes you need to worry about, you constantly sitting aroung 5->6 is awesome, wish I could :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Agree with all the previous posts......

If my level was 4.1 mmol/l just before bed I wouldn't be too happy with that. That is way too close to a hypo level and I would normally be finding odd symptoms starting to appear, getting shaky etc. Hypo awareness that Bg is dropping too low. I prefer at least a 5 mmol/l before bed. From personal experience I then don't liver dump during the night and also don't have a problem with DP, waking usually on a 5'ish number. Ideal for a small breakfast etc and 2 hrs later no more than 6-7. Suits me.

At that low level (4.1 mmol/l) it is also possible that you went even lower during the night and just 'liver dumped' and your levels would aitomatically rise. This is just the body's natural reponse to low blood glucose levels, especially as the OP is a Type 2. You probably wouldn't even notice it........