Type 2 Strange Low Results

jay_london

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm - so after a stressful day and with the sun shining down, I went for a few (3) beers after work - first alcoholic drink in 3 months since diagnosis

Coupled this with 3 sausages and a salad when I got home and thought better do a blood test.

Very surprised to see a reading of 4.3, repeated and got 4.4.... used a different meter and got 4.

As a T2, no meds - have never seen such a low number.

Was expecting it to be high, what’s going on ??

Reactions: Freema

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The liver can’t multitask! You’ve kept it busy processing the alcohol so it’s forgotten to chuck glucose out into your bloodstream!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it would be the beer. It will have spiked you quite high initially as there is a lot of sugar in beer, then the alcohol will have caused you to crash. The effect is worst on an empty stomach.

Reactions: rom35

jay_london

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the insight folks, darn I thought this was my magical cure

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Could be the alcohol.
Yes would be the beer. Must admit if I have red wine..I get the same readings as I always get, around 5.3 sometimes 5.2..red wine does not seem to spike me at all for some reason.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes would be the beer. Must admit if I have red wine..I get the same readings as I always get, around 5.3 sometimes 5.2..red wine does not seem to spike me at all for some reason.

It won't spike most people because there is hardly any sugar in it. It is the beers, lagers and ciders that cause the problems.

apost.io

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say the sun is more likely to cause a low rather than the beer. Beer has carbs in it so in theory it should rise your sugar, not lower it.
Sun on the other side can cause de-hydration which can affect your sugar levels.
In T1 my sugar levels always get 'mixed feelings' while in the sunny beach of Mediterranean for more than 4 hours.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It won't spike most people because there is hardly any sugar in it. It is the beers, lagers and ciders that cause the problems.
and red wine is full of antioxidants-so that makes a glass 'good' for you :happy: (I'm sticking to that line !)

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
My levels during the week while working . Quite physically demanding job
And not drinking any alcohol is between
5 and 7 . During the weekend with a few glasses of white or red wine it is always between 4 and 5 . So it’s the wine for me
Plus the odd malt whiskey . Irish of course

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Thank goodness for the Gods of wine ; )