Strange sensations in feet

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi, I've been diabetic for 6 years and have been on high doses of insulin for years too. My initial HbA1c was 112 mmol/mol and hovered between 80-90 for 4 years and now only down to 64 at last check.

For the last few weeks I have been getting pins and needles and odd "crawling" and trembling sensations in my toes and the base of my feet. I'm not in that much pain and have been ignoring it hoping it's something minor like fatigue.

I read a lot of posts on neuropathy but many seem to concentrate on the extreme pain involved. Any suggestions ?

Thanks for any replies.
Edward.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Edward do you take a statin? My partner was taking simvastatin which started with pins and needles in hands and feet then aching joints.
Faling that it could be liver if skin is itchy?
High sugar can give tingly toes. For me.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Tim55 might be able to add more. He's away I think this weekend thou.

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Hi, I've been diabetic for 6 years and have been on high doses of insulin for years too. My initial HbA1c was 112 mmol/mol and hovered between 80-90 for 4 years and now only down to 64 at last check.

For the last few weeks I have been getting pins and needles and odd "crawling" and trembling sensations in my toes and the base of my feet. I'm not in that much pain and have been ignoring it hoping it's something minor like fatigue.

I read a lot of posts on neuropathy but many seem to concentrate on the extreme pain involved. Any suggestions ?

Thanks for any replies.
Edward.

Hi,

I get that too. I get no pain in my feet but I get a wide variety of sensations. Numbness,vibration/trembling,hot or cold feelings,crawling feeling,itchy sometimes,pins and needles. Also in my toes and the bottom of my feet. It's definitely worse when my sugar is high. It does improve slowly when I have better control. I assume it maybe could lead to neuropathy down the line, perhaps it is the initial stages of nerve damage?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Edward do you take a statin? My partner was taking simvastatin which started with pins and needles in hands and feet then aching joints.
Faling that it could be liver if skin is itchy?
High sugar can give tingly toes. For me.
No, I'm not on a statin Vicky and my LFT's are perfect as I get monthly blood checks for Kidney/Liver and Potassium levels.:)

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Eddie

I fear what you are describing is indeed the early stages of peripheral neuropathy.

My problems started in exactly the same way, but I ignored them for about 2 years, and now have quite a lot of trouble with my feet and lower legs, although the similar problems I was having with my fingers seem to have cleared up.

I think that tight control of FBG levels - below 7.8 at all times, coupled with Alpha Lipoic acid and vitamin B12 helped me out, and others have reported the same.

There is a lot of information on a thread entitled "Help in dealing with Neuropathy", but the NHS attitude seems to be "yep, you're diabetic and you will just have to get used to it......"

I am type 2, diagnosed 2014 and on Metformin rather than insulin. My initial Hba1c was, IIRC around 114, but it came down rapidly when ignoring NHS advice and trying to stick to LCHF principles and my last one was 38.

HTH

Tim

Reactions: 2 people