Stress and Diabetes

Ewb10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else find that stressful situations or feeling down affects their diabetes?
If so, I would be interested to know how you combat (or attempt to combat!) this?
Thank you in advance

G

graj0

Stress does have an effect on BG. May I suggest googling "diabetes and stress", although forum members will have ideas, there's some interesting URLs to follow, some explaining why it happens and some with hints and tips. All very useful, some quite interesting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress has a significant effect on my BG.

My morning fasting readings are much higher on a day when I will be busy, or stressed. Job interviews and such send it silly-high.

A cold, virus, infection or tummy upset will affect BG too. As will severe or long term pain.

Prolongued stress also seems to eat up BG out of my blood, sometimes causing me to hypo. This could be anything from new job, to travel, or a big work project.

Busy mental work also 'eats' up BG. If I attend a training course, or take an exam.

The answer (to ALL of these stresses) for me, is to keep strictly to my LCHF way of eating, monitor BG regularly, be alert for the signs of a hypo, and keep suitable snacks to hand. I am Type 2, diet and exercise.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I am stressed it is easy to grab the wrong things to eat just because they are there. The thing I find most useful is to have a positive attitude, its what gets me through.