Stress and high Blood sugar

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time it seems out of whack. I experienced a loss in the family and it was sudden. It had lot of changes after and the stress of everything seemed to make my sugar erratic. Highs and lows, more highs. My dn doesn't seem to think the stress has a role. I'm on insulin but yeah it's been a rough few weeks.Anyone experience this and have any thoughts on this?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the first time it seems out of whack. I experienced a loss in the family and it was sudden. It had lot of changes after and the stress of everything seemed to make my sugar erratic. Highs and lows, more highs. My dn doesn't seem to think the stress has a role. I'm on insulin but yeah it's been a rough few weeks.Anyone experience this and have any thoughts on this?
My condolences. So sorry for your loss, and yes, stress impacts bloodsugars. There's a hormone that gets released when you're stressed (corticosteroid) which tells your liver you're in a predicament; that used to mean you needed extra energy for a fight-or-flight response, so the liver dumps extra glucose into the bloodstream to give you a boost to do just that. There's no running from or physically fighting grief, alas. But that's why your bloodsugars are up. And if you're anything like me you haven't been sleeping well through this either, meaning even more liver dumps during the night. It'll get better, might take a little while though...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @purplesunsets, My condolences too for your loss.
I am amazed that a DN would deny the role of stress in causing high BSLS in anyone with diabetes.
I would be suggesting remedial school for that one !!
As @JoKalsbeek says, the 'stress management' hormone, cortisol rises during times of stress and this interferes with insulin's action.
As an example, my daily insulin dose would increase x 3 leading up to University examinations.
Being kind to one's self, perhaps walks, distractions and trying to put off important decisions until feeling less stressed, and considering adjustment of diet and medication have been my stand-bys and also perhaps discussing things with my doctor or a competent DN. Best Wishes.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I had consistent control of my blood sugar for a good 6 to 9 months, but my counts were all over the place when my dad died in July. They have only just recovered. I didn't comfort eat, but tried to keep to my normal eating plan, and I was still seeing BG 8-10, when I would expect 5-6. As with all these things, people vary in their response, but stress is a definite factor for me. So much so that I have taken up meditation. Strange how many changes that this disease has forced on me, eating loads of greens, organised eating plans, organised exercise and now I find useful something that I thought was for spiritual people and not for me (although I have always kept an open mind). It has made a big difference, especially to my sleeping. I use the Meditation Oasis app., as they have a very practical approach.

I hope things get easier for you.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys. Still trying to adjust and it added things to be done. Yeah like @JoKalsbeek mentioned sleep was erratic too. I wondered if it was just me my other family seemed ok. It had me wondering if my insulin was faulty too. It's taking a while to get back to the normal, I have to say.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys. Still trying to adjust and it added things to be done. Yeah like @JoKalsbeek mentioned sleep was erratic too. I wondered if it was just me my other family seemed ok. It had me wondering if my insulin was faulty too. It's taking a while to get back to the normal, I have to say.