Stress and its effect on BGT

Terminator 2

I was just curious as to what effect stress has on your daily blood tests.

The reason I ask is my bloods for the best part of yesterday were higher than normal.

Early in the day I received some bad news, horrid would describe it better, that way where your gut is hurting and you feel sick. It lingered with me all day and I kept churning it over and over in my head.

Could the above reflect in higher than normal readings?

Thanks.

Grazer

Yes is the simple answer. Stress makes our body produce Cortisol whichn raises BGs. Part of the "fight or flight" preparation I guess, pump us up with glucose to give us energy for the fighting or flighting!

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Yes it does and I'm always amazed at how even low levels of stress puts my levels up. I had to do some major rethinking about my priorities to reduce the impact of stresses in my life.

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
Absolutely right

I had a breakdown back in '09 and I'm convinced that the work related stress I was under prior to this episode was the trigger for my T2.

Of course there's no way to demonstrate any causal link

Grazer

SouthernGeneral6512 said:
Does anyone know how large the effect can be? If you have a big worry on board how many points can it put your BS up?

Don't think there's an equation for this, but it is felt that stress can CAUSE type 2 (or at least contribute to it) so my guess is it can be pretty high.