Stress and Type One Diabetes

banana2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High and low blood sugars!
I am really struggling with stress at the moment as my A-level exams are approaching and I am trying to do my best to revise and complete coursework. However, Diabetes is making this exteremely difficult as I find that when I am in school, I am high and it is really affecting my ability to learn and concentrate. I also find that my mood is really affected too which has also caused problems. There are days were I don’t accurately calculate my insulin because I don’t care (I know this sounds awful) but I feel like I have fell off the wagon and don’t know how to get back on. I would like some advice on how to manage stress and how to beat the diabetic blues

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @banana2000 We all have different ways of coping with stress, unfortunately as you've seen if you dont take care of your t1 first then it will affect your ability to concentrate and cope better mentally, it's a double edged sword with diabetes. So getting your levels in range will help you focus more on your work and remember it too.

Take it one day at a time, aim to test before mealtimes and take insulin when required, record it in a diary so you have logged it.

Just remember this period of stress is temporary it will pass, so try not to feel so burdened by your studies, by getting into a good regime will prepare you for your exams and keeping your levels in check will help you feel more positive too.

Please also speak to your parents, teachers and your DSN all will support you so please talk about your feelings and how you are coping, your DSN may be able to help with providing you with a Libre sensor to make checking your Bg levels a bit easier :)

banana2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks juicyj, I really appreciate ur response. I will need to try to talk to people about how I feel and speak to my nurse for support. Thanks for the blood sugar tips

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Talking is so important with managing t1 so please open up :)

Also just a point i've noticed with people thinking they have 'fallen off the wagon' they generally haven't but for what ever reason things can feel a bit out of control, it doesn't take much to get back on track and sometimes things can appear alot worse than they actually are, so please remember you are doing an amazing job managing t1 and exams, so take care and be proud of yourself :)

banana2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Talking is so important with managing t1 so please open up :)

Also just a point i've noticed with people thinking they have 'fallen off the wagon' they generally haven't but for what ever reason things can feel a bit out of control, it doesn't take much to get back on track and sometimes things can appear alot worse than they actually are, so please remember you are doing an amazing job managing t1 and exams, so take care and be proud of yourself :)
Thanks so much juicyj, your words mean a lot. Yes, I do agree with what you are saying about feeling like you’ve fallen off the wagon but I’m reality, you’ve just lost control which is exactly how I feel

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @banana2000,
I was having similar challenges during Uni exams some 40 to 46 years ago - before we had glucose meters,
pumps, DSNs and fancy insulins.
It takes time, trial and error, and courage to find the best way to keep those @(*^&^%$ BSLs down !!
I would suggest you try to work with your DSN or doctor to work out how much to adjust your insulin
doses to allow for the effect of stress on your BSLs and well-being.
For me I had to increase my insulin 2 to 3 x normal - but that is just me, and was done with a 20% increase , wait 2 days, then another if needed etc - easier I expect with CGMs, glucose meters and importantly a DSN or doctor to bounce ideas off.
The other positive thing about this time for you is that when you next have exams or another stress (and hopefully they are few and far between)!!you will have a better idea of what to do.
Best Wishes for brilliant results.:):):)