1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stress and Type One Diabetes

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by banana2000, Mar 12, 2019.

1. banana2000

banana2000 Type 1 · Member

I am really struggling with stress at the moment as my A-level exams are approaching and I am trying to do my best to revise and complete coursework. However, Diabetes is making this exteremely difficult as I find that when I am in school, I am high and it is really affecting my ability to learn and concentrate. I also find that my mood is really affected too which has also caused problems. There are days were I don’t accurately calculate my insulin because I don’t care (I know this sounds awful) but I feel like I have fell off the wagon and don’t know how to get back on. I would like some advice on how to manage stress and how to beat the diabetic blues

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @banana2000 We all have different ways of coping with stress, unfortunately as you've seen if you dont take care of your t1 first then it will affect your ability to concentrate and cope better mentally, it's a double edged sword with diabetes. So getting your levels in range will help you focus more on your work and remember it too.

Take it one day at a time, aim to test before mealtimes and take insulin when required, record it in a diary so you have logged it.

Just remember this period of stress is temporary it will pass, so try not to feel so burdened by your studies, by getting into a good regime will prepare you for your exams and keeping your levels in check will help you feel more positive too.

Please also speak to your parents, teachers and your DSN all will support you so please talk about your feelings and how you are coping, your DSN may be able to help with providing you with a Libre sensor to make checking your Bg levels a bit easier :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. banana2000

banana2000 Type 1 · Member

Thanks juicyj, I really appreciate ur response. I will need to try to talk to people about how I feel and speak to my nurse for support. Thanks for the blood sugar tips

• Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Talking is so important with managing t1 so please open up :)

Also just a point i've noticed with people thinking they have 'fallen off the wagon' they generally haven't but for what ever reason things can feel a bit out of control, it doesn't take much to get back on track and sometimes things can appear alot worse than they actually are, so please remember you are doing an amazing job managing t1 and exams, so take care and be proud of yourself :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook