Stress at blood sugar numbers

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pre dinner blood sugar 15 tonight :( No idea why. I hate sugars that we can't explain. And stressing about it makes it worse. I've corrected so just waiting for it to come down before I eat. How do you calm yourself when a number stresses you ??

K

Knikki

The air is very blue in our house when things like that happen

Like yesterday morning woke up with a 13.5 :eek: and there was a lot of cursing :banghead: just shoved some insulin in a went to the gym, later on worked our why.

It is an **** when you get higher than expected numbers, I find that most of the time I can work out why and just chalk it down to "live and learn", it is only a blip and these things happen when your T1D so don't be to hard on yourself :)

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The air is very blue in our house when things like that happen

Like yesterday morning woke up with a 13.5 :eek: and there was a lot of cursing :banghead: just shoved some insulin in a went to the gym, later on worked our why.

It is an **** when you get higher than expected numbers, I find that most of the time I can work out why and just chalk it down to "live and learn", it is only a blip and these things happen when your T1D so don't be to hard on yourself :)
Thank you. This one makes no sense. My lunch sugar was great pre and post. Then started rising by dinnner. Could be the gastroparesis ??!!! Anyway I will just move on. And there was a lot of cursing in my house also ;)

Reactions: Knikki

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sharrryn I get the same as you, I call them blips, it's just the way it is and for that reason I have accepted them, yes they make me mad, but I can't stress as my poor body doesn't need the additional burden !

I read the Serenity prayer a couple of days ago and although I am not religious, it kind of resonates with this situation:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

I find that when BG levels have gone off the boil it's the strategy I use to reign them back in which is more important.

Reactions: Sharrryn

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had one of those days, yesterday. Not horrendous, but I was hovering around the 10s & 11s, even though I'd been good, given correction doses etc. Thoroughly unfair and I get peed off when the numbers aren't right.

I'm putting it down to stress as work has been stressful the past couple of days.

You know guys, I'm so happy t join your community as I don't know with whom I can share my worries. Last Time I had problems at my work because of my disease, I was fired and I couldn't do anything with it. But recently I've decided to try again to find my job and I felt such a big stress trying to write my resume. That's why I bought my resume at the online service ... after that I sent it to the future employer and I was happy to receive the positive answer! The question is that how should I tell about my disease to my boss?

K

Knikki

You know guys, I'm so happy t join your community as I don't know with whom I can share my worries. Last Time I had problems at my work because of my disease, I was fired and I couldn't do anything with it. But recently I've decided to try again to find my job and I felt such a big stress trying to write my resume. That's why I bought my resume at the online service ... after that I sent it to the future employer and I was happy to receive the positive answer! The question is that how should I tell about my disease to my boss?

Hello Welcome to the forum.

Wow fired because of medical issue? That does not sound right.

Anyway, if it was me I would be open about it and tell your boss, I don't hide mine at all, really open with it, will think nothing of sitting there injecting, finger pricking. People are obviously curious about what I'm doing which opens up a coversation about the various diabetic types.

But feel free to talk, moan, complain, ask questions, rant about T1D we all do it on here and there is usually someone around who will respond :)

Hope everything works out :)

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sharrryn I get the same as you, I call them blips, it's just the way it is and for that reason I have accepted them, yes they make me mad, but I can't stress as my poor body doesn't need the additional burden !

I read the Serenity prayer a couple of days ago and although I am not religious, it kind of resonates with this situation:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

I find that when BG levels have gone off the boil it's the strategy I use to reign them back in which is more important.
Thank you. I like that. Sugar went down after tea but climbing again a bit now. So I will accept and correct :)

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had one of those days, yesterday. Not horrendous, but I was hovering around the 10s & 11s, even though I'd been good, given correction doses etc. Thoroughly unfair and I get peed off when the numbers aren't right.

I'm putting it down to stress as work has been stressful the past couple of days.
Yes. Stress is a diabetics worst enemy sometimes ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hi and welcome - can I move your post into it's own thread for better visibility ?

Timostags

Yes. Stress is a diabetics worst enemy sometimes ;)

Totally agree!
Sometimes I can work myself up over it and just can't get it off my mind. The only thing I find helps is going for a ride on my bike. No time to stress about the past or future just concentrating on the bike, road and not getting killed lol.
This forum also helps

Reactions: Sharrryn and Juicyj

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre dinner blood sugar 15 tonight :( No idea why. I hate sugars that we can't explain. And stressing about it makes it worse. I've corrected so just waiting for it to come down before I eat. How do you calm yourself when a number stresses you ??

I've learned a saying from some type 1's I follow on instagram who have steady numbers almost always and when they have a number they don't like are equipped to change that within a 1-2 hour window.

The saying is: There is always a reason why your blood sugar is what it is. Meaning either you did or didn't do something or didn't take into account something. Not blaming ourselves but figuring out what it is.

I used to feel hopeless but in my experience I've actually managed, through timing, exercise, and nutrition to hold steady numbers like some people and you could too.

If you want to walk me through morning to bed time I can try and help debunk your situation with you and see if you can figure out some leads to maybe discuss with your doctor?

Reactions: Sharrryn

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ! This is my first posting. I have related to nearly everything I have read here and it makes me feel stronger to know I am not alone with all the confusion. I was diagnosed early August 2018 with type 1 and have been obsessed with all the glucose readings ups and downs and what I am able to eat without spiking and hypos and researching the net for all the info I can learn and discovering conflicting info, liver and thyroid complications, desperately trying to keep my weight up, etc etc.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've learned a saying from some type 1's I follow on instagram who have steady numbers almost always and when they have a number they don't like are equipped to change that within a 1-2 hour window.

The saying is: There is always a reason why your blood sugar is what it is. Meaning either you did or didn't do something or didn't take into account something. Not blaming ourselves but figuring out what it is.

I used to feel hopeless but in my experience I've actually managed, through timing, exercise, and nutrition to hold steady numbers like some people and you could too.

If you want to walk me through morning to bed time I can try and help debunk your situation with you and see if you can figure out some leads to maybe discuss with your doctor?
Thank you. I know one of the main reasons for my blood sugar fluctuations is diabetic gastroparesis which causes my stress. It's is so unpredictable. When food doesn't digest properly no amount of planning and insulin timing can always help sadly. :(

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I know one of the main reasons for my blood sugar fluctuations is diabetic gastroparesis which causes my stress. It's is so unpredictable. When food doesn't digest properly no amount of planning and insulin timing can always help sadly. :(

Actually, there might be some reasoning as to why this is happening that I'm curious could be the culprit.

So, do you typically run high blood sugars? Anything over 9.0 mmol/L frequently.

The reason I'm asking is because if you are not in range constantly this causes digestive issues as I'm sure you know.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually, there might be some reasoning as to why this is happening that I'm curious could be the culprit.

So, do you typically run high blood sugars? Anything over 9.0 mmol/L frequently.

The reason I'm asking is because if you are not in range constantly this causes digestive issues as I'm sure you know.
Yes. I do tend to often run over 10 a few hours after meals even with a good sugar pre meal . The better the sugar the better digestion I know. My doctors are aware of this but the very nature of gastroparesis can cause sugars to rise hours later when food finally does digest.... long after the meal dose is no longer active. It’s tough to stay in range

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I do tend to often run over 10 a few hours after meals even with a good sugar pre meal . The better the sugar the better digestion I know. My doctors are aware of this but the very nature of gastroparesis can cause sugars to rise hours later when food finally does digest.... long after the meal dose is no longer active. It’s tough to stay in range
Yeah I know the frustration..