Stress rockets my blood sugar

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I eat a keto diet and usually control my type 2 diabetes by diet. I also have chronic fatigue syndrome so my opportunities for exercise are limited although I do a structured weights routine for 10 minutes each morning.
Just recently I had a university essay deadline followed by a family party a long drive away and my blood sugar rocketed and is only now returning to normal.
It is almost always under 7.8 mmol/l and frequently less than 7.0. but at the end of this week it suddenly went up to 9.4 without my eating differently.
I already meditate twice a day, not sure what else to do to keep blood glucose down!!

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, stress is one of the things that raises our BG.
It sounds as if you are doing a lot to try to combat it at a stressful time.
Try not to stress about your high BG (yeah, I know - easier said than done).

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
VERY common problem for many. You feel trapped, need to go somewhere else, short tempered as if it's
not the real you, yet YOU know you lose some self control. I just let it roll, play some music, work out the stress factors and get on with it. Be good :)

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Thanks everyone! Just means a lot to me, your understanding means a great deal!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a keto diet and usually control my type 2 diabetes by diet. I also have chronic fatigue syndrome so my opportunities for exercise are limited although I do a structured weights routine for 10 minutes each morning.
Just recently I had a university essay deadline followed by a family party a long drive away and my blood sugar rocketed and is only now returning to normal.
It is almost always under 7.8 mmol/l and frequently less than 7.0. but at the end of this week it suddenly went up to 9.4 without my eating differently.
I already meditate twice a day, not sure what else to do to keep blood glucose down!!

I'm a very fortunate person to have a relatively non-stressy life, but I also find stress can impact my levels. Unfortunately, when stress comes into play, so can lack of sleep, disrupted excercise (in whatever format) and sometimes eating. That can make for the perfect storm.

Are you otherwise well - no virus or infections hanging around?

Sometimes, it's best to justt try to chillax with it for a few days at least. When we're diet controlled, our weapons are limited.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
When you just learn to roll with the punches and look inside your reactions, never anyone else's.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I also suffer when stress kicks in, I am not good at dealing with stress no matter what I try - so I really just have to try and keep eating the right foods - I am taking Metformin as well but my levels have been way too high.
Thank you for sharing your situation, it helps.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @Angelofthemarches
I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue (at Stoke Mandeville) in 1994 and more or less cut work back and back to levels I could manage. Exercise was always important but my default mindset was overdo it on the good days. The move away down to the West Country was a new start for me with a better exercise/rest balance then later a work/rest balance.
Long story short, I am no longer aware of any ME and the onset of Type 2 seems to have given me more energy than ever.
I'm trying to offer a glimmer of light and yes I fully agree that lowering stress has been hugely beneficial. Shame you have so few beaches in Bucks.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have CFS and stress sends my levels high. I do breathing exercises several times a day. This helps with anxiety, and also clears my lungs as sometimes even breathing feels like an effort. All the best.