1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stress rockets my blood sugar

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Angelofthemarches, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Angelofthemarches

Angelofthemarches Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I eat a keto diet and usually control my type 2 diabetes by diet. I also have chronic fatigue syndrome so my opportunities for exercise are limited although I do a structured weights routine for 10 minutes each morning.
    Just recently I had a university essay deadline followed by a family party a long drive away and my blood sugar rocketed and is only now returning to normal.
    It is almost always under 7.8 mmol/l and frequently less than 7.0. but at the end of this week it suddenly went up to 9.4 without my eating differently.
    I already meditate twice a day, not sure what else to do to keep blood glucose down!!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Unfortunately, stress is one of the things that raises our BG.
    It sounds as if you are doing a lot to try to combat it at a stressful time.
    Try not to stress about your high BG (yeah, I know - easier said than done).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

VERY common problem for many. You feel trapped, need to go somewhere else, short tempered as if it's
    not the real you, yet YOU know you lose some self control. I just let it roll, play some music, work out the stress factors and get on with it. Be good :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Angelofthemarches

Thanks everyone! Just means a lot to me, your understanding means a great deal!!

5. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm a very fortunate person to have a relatively non-stressy life, but I also find stress can impact my levels. Unfortunately, when stress comes into play, so can lack of sleep, disrupted excercise (in whatever format) and sometimes eating. That can make for the perfect storm.

Are you otherwise well - no virus or infections hanging around?

Sometimes, it's best to justt try to chillax with it for a few days at least. When we're diet controlled, our weapons are limited.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Angelofthemarches

How do you mean?

8. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

When you just learn to roll with the punches and look inside your reactions, never anyone else's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also suffer when stress kicks in, I am not good at dealing with stress no matter what I try - so I really just have to try and keep eating the right foods - I am taking Metformin as well but my levels have been way too high.
    Thank you for sharing your situation, it helps.

10. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @Angelofthemarches
    I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue (at Stoke Mandeville) in 1994 and more or less cut work back and back to levels I could manage. Exercise was always important but my default mindset was overdo it on the good days. The move away down to the West Country was a new start for me with a better exercise/rest balance then later a work/rest balance.
    Long story short, I am no longer aware of any ME and the onset of Type 2 seems to have given me more energy than ever.
    I'm trying to offer a glimmer of light and yes I fully agree that lowering stress has been hugely beneficial. Shame you have so few beaches in Bucks.

#10 nomoredonuts, Jun 24, 2019 at 8:09 PM
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  11. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I too have CFS and stress sends my levels high. I do breathing exercises several times a day. This helps with anxiety, and also clears my lungs as sometimes even breathing feels like an effort. All the best.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook