Stress

peppiB

OK - I was diagnosed type 2 a year ago and until I found this site last month was fairly ignorant, but I am now learning fast. When diagnosed I was asked what I did. I said I was a carer for a mentally ill epileptic and vaguely remember at the time the doctor raising her eyebrows and saying it was possibly not a good idea for me to continue this. No more was said.

I have noticed that when I am with my charge, and with ramipril, my blood pressure is usually around 135/75 but when I am away for respite breaks it drops to 115/62. I am constantly on the alert for seizures (both grand mal and petti mal) and experience frequent temper tantrums and 'strange' behaviour caused by the mental illness (sorry I can't elaborate on a public forum)

Has anyone any ideas of the effect of stress on diabetes?

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Stress isn't good for diabetes at all, it can also affect your BG levels and you know it can affect your BP.

Regards, Tubs.

peppiB

Thanks Tubs. Have only just got my BS meter (bought) and only have levels for here. Don't know yet when my next respite will be, but whenever it is I will take my meter with me for comparison.

Grumpy

My BS has been dropping steadily since I began low carbing - down to 8ish from 20s! However, last Saturday was a b*tch of a day at work then had to go out in the evening when I'd rather veg out in front of the telly. Took BS before we left for the evening out - 15.8 even though I'd only eaten my usual lunch/snacks. Stress!!

pip

I also find my levels are much higher when at work than when I am at home, is this a good reason to quit :lol:

Trinkwasser

It can work the other way round too, high BG and especially lows and rapid changes can produce symptoms which can easily be attributed to "mental" illness.